SOAS is poised to become the university of the 21st Century; it is concerned with the regions that matter and the issues that matter. The School actively engages with the contemporary world in its aim to promote global understanding, and we provide resources and knowledge that equip people for a global economy and a multicultural Britain.
This mission is the central focus for our widening participation strategy and outreach; the means by which we make higher education accessible to a diverse population concerned with, and passionate about, the world we live in; and is vital to our mission in equipping a society for a multicultural Britain.
Please explore these pages for further information, including sections on:
- Education outreach (taster days, masterclasses, mentoring, and so on)
- Financial support (scholarships and bursaries)
- Bridging Courses (for students about to enter an undergraduate degree at SOAS)
- Student Ambassadors (how to apply)
The Office for Fair Access (OFFA) has approved SOAS' access agreement; submitted as part of the governments' new tuition fees policy for higher education.
The agreement sets out the School's fee limits and the access measures it plans to put in place, which include an increased investment in bursaries, fee waivers and scholarships to support students from lower income backgrounds and to improve retention for such students. The full access agreement is available here (on the right hand side of this page).
Key outreach statistics
In the previous academic year:
- SOAS delivered around 150 activities with schools and colleges
- Over 2500 school and college pupils engaged in these activities
- Over 75 Student Ambassadors took part
- Academic members of staff from all three Faculties were involved