SOAS offers two distinct Bridging Courses: one for students who are the first in their family to go to university or who grew up in an area where there is low progression to higher education, and another for mature students who are 21 and over, and entering university for the first time.
We recognise that students who are the first in their family to go to university, or who grew up in areas where there is low progression to HE, or who are returning to education after a significant absence, are less likely to have had access to the kind of informal networks of information, advice, and guidance that may support other students in the transition to life and study at university.
Both Bridging Courses are free, last for 5 days, take place in September, and enable students to make a flying start with the transition to higher education.
More specifically, the aims of the SOAS Bridging Courses are:
- For participants to develop their study skills
- For participants to improve their essay-writing skills
- To provide an opportunity for students to meet each other in a relaxed environment
- For participants to gain extra exposure to university style teaching and learning
- For participants to learn from and be inspired by current students from similar backgrounds
To find out more about the SOAS Bridging Courses and how you can reserve your place, click on the links in the menu on the left. Please note that a prerequisite for the SOAS Bridging Courses is that you have accepted a firm offer for an undergraduate course at SOAS, and are a UK resident.