Languages and Cultures Outreach
The Languages Outreach Programme provides schools and students with opportunities to learn, taste, experience the languages and cultures of Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
The 2014-15 programme of activities include:
|UCAS Personal Statement Clinic||TBC|
|UN Day||Thu 5 November 2015|
|Chinese New Year Celebrations||TBC|
|IllumiNations Festival||Tue 22 March 2016|
|Nowruz Persian New Year Celebrations||TBC|
|Thai Buddhism Day||TBC|
|Urdu Immersion Classes||TBC|
We work with a wide range of students of varying abilities and in particular work with the following students:
- Those who would be the first in their family to go to university
- Those passionate about world issues and language study
- Those requiring support to fully realise their academic potential
We can also send Ambassadors to schools to deliver presentations, workshops, round tables and career events.
For more information, please contact:
Languages Outreach Programme Manager
Tel: 020 7898 4745
Over 40 languages are taught at SOAS. Click for more information on studying languages at SOAS.
Languages and Cultures Department Open Days
SOAS is the only University in the UK focusing on Asia and Africa and we have the largest concentration of expert teachers in these areas. We specialise in Asian and African languages and cultures, from West Africa to East Asia, but also combine language study with disciplines like Politics, Economics, History, Social Anthropology, Management, Development Studies, etc.
As part of our outreach activities we undertake the following activities in and for schools:
- Talks in schools on some topical issue or aspect of contemporary culture in Asia and Africa given by a SOAS specialist;
- Talks in schools about studying Asian and African languages (with taster lessons) and their possible applications, given by a SOAS member of staff;
- A visit to SOAS either during one of our Open Days or on other occasions.
For more information and/or to arrange a talk, please contact Debbie Nelson at email@example.com.