Languages and Cultures Outreach
The Languages Outreach Programme provides schools and students with opportunities to learn, taste, experience the languages and cultures of Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
The 2014-15 programme of activities include:
|Chinese New Year Celebrations||Thu 12 February 2015|
|IllumiNations Festival||Fri 27 February 2015|
|Whirling Poetry, Swahili and Images of Water||Thu 12 March 2015|
|Nowruz Persian New Year Celebrations||Tue 24 March 2015|
|STEP ON Korean Easter School||Mon 30 March - 1 April 2015|
|Turkish Academy||Wed 15-17 April 2015|
|Japanese Day||Tue 5 May 2015|
|STEP ON Teachers Language Week||Tue 26-29 May 2015|
|Thai Buddhism Day||Thu 4 June 2015|
|Urdu Immersion Classes||TBC June 2015|
|Year 11 and 12 Summer School||Mon 29 June - 2 July 2015|
We work with a wide range of students of varying abilities and in particular work with the following students:
- Those who would be the first in their family to go to university
- Those passionate about world issues and language study
- Those requiring support to fully realise their academic potential
We can also send Ambassadors to schools to deliver presentations, workshops, round tables and career events.
For more information, please contact:
Languages Outreach Programme Manager
Tel: 020 7898 4745
Over 40 languages are taught at SOAS. Click for more information on studying languages at SOAS.
Languages and Cultures Department Open Days
SOAS is the only University in the UK focusing on Asia and Africa and we have the largest concentration of expert teachers in these areas. We specialise in Asian and African languages and cultures, from West Africa to East Asia, but also combine language study with disciplines like Politics, Economics, History, Social Anthropology, Management, Development Studies, etc.
As part of our outreach activities we undertake the following activities in and for schools:
- Talks in schools on some topical issue or aspect of contemporary culture in Asia and Africa given by a SOAS specialist;
- Talks in schools about studying Asian and African languages (with taster lessons) and their possible applications, given by a SOAS member of staff;
- A visit to SOAS either during one of our Open Days or on other occasions.
For more information and/or to arrange a talk, please contact Debbie Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org.