SOAS is a remarkable institution, specialising in the study of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. This means that SOAS remains a guardian of specialised knowledge in languages and regions not available anywhere else in the UK, but also that SOAS scholars grapple with pressing issues - such as democracy, migration, development, human rights, poverty, religion, social change - which impact on a global scale.
One quality that also defines SOAS is its highly diverse student body. This diversity creates a dynamic and stimulating environment for learning and exploring various issues. We offer a menu of exciting outreach activities drawing on our specialist focus which link to school curriculum and college subjects such as history, languages, religious studies, law and economics.
All our activities are designed to help students explore the breadth of opportunities available to them, and to realise their potential in HE. We work with a wide range of students of varying abilities and in particular work with the following students:
- Those who would be the first in their family to go to university
- Those passionate about world issues and language study
- Those requiring support to fully realise their academic potential
For further information about the structure, aims and benefits of the activities we offer, please explore the menu links on the left, divided into activities for
- Secondary school students (Years 7-11)
- Sixth form students
- Mature students (those who would be 21 and over when starting an undergraduate degree)
- Language and culture activities - include tasters, events and activities aimed at supporting students succeed in language studies
Enquiries, and requests to join our outreach activities mailing list, should be directed to:
Sarah Tucker (for South and East London)
Paul Wiggins (for North and West London)
Routes into Languages
Routes into Languages/Capital L is a consortium of London universities working together to promote the uptake of languages in secondary schools and beyond. For further information on the project, please visit the Capital L website.