Student Ambassador-led Taster Days
Ambassador-led taster days include short workshops that focus on different disciplinary areas, led by current students. Past examples have included workshops on History, Politics, Africa, Economics, Music, Film, and Development Studies, with a wide variety of other subjects also available. Taster days can be a full-day visit or a half-day programme and include a campus tour and Q&A session with the Student Ambassadors. The aim of these Ambassador-led taster days is to:
- Introduce participants to interesting & exciting areas of study within SOAS
- Encourage participants to aspire to university
- Give the participants first-hand experience of study within a university environment, and the opportunity to meet current university students from similar backgrounds
Please see below for an example of a previous Taster Day:
Ambassador-led taster day, Heathlands school
During their visit to SOAS, 28 year 12 pupils from Heathlands school benefitted from an in-depth Q&A session with the SOAS student ambassadors and a visit to the world famous SOAS library. They also embarked on a campus tour that allowed them to really sample what life would be like as a university student. The Heathlands pupils were split into six groups and each group sampled six different Ambassador-led taster lessons in Economics, Law, History, Arabic, Turkish, and the Study of Religions. Here is a flavour of what each session covered:
- Economics: "Is aid effective?" debate
- Arabic: Introduction to the language and learning some useful phrases.
- Turkish: Introduction to the language, culture, and learning some useful phrases.
- Religions: Discussion about Orthodox Christianity and Iconoclasm.
- Law: A controversial case was presented and students debated whether the judge's decision was correct.
- History: An insight was given into different course structures and content covered at university, using actual course materials.
Here is what the students thought of their day at SOAS:
"Each of the students' sessions were interesting and opened my mind into what these courses are like"
"I enjoyed talking to the ambassador about their subject and uni lifestyle. I also enjoyed the taster lessons as I never knew how interesting some subjects could be."
"I loved the little sessions we had from different subject students, it gave me an idea about what do when I go to uni"
"The most important thing I learnt is that university lifestyle is more independent than I originally thought, also, that there are so many options of subjects"
"loved it =)"
Enquiries regarding taster days should be directed to:
Sarah Tucker (for South and East London)
China Anya (for North and West London)