Step-On: Aiming for Success - Year 12 Academic Extension Programme
Year 12 students are invited to apply for a week of language learning and study skills at SOAS.
As part of the programme you will:
- attend daily language classes in Japanese or Persian
- learn learning strategies that you can use across your subjects
- work with others to create projects related to the languages you are learning
You will also be invited to attend:
- a day shadowing a SOAS student and finding out more about university life
- talks about
- vocabulary and retention
- how to succeed in languages
- writing your personal statement
- taking a year abroad.
In order to apply, students must:
- Be currently in Year 12
- Have at least 5 B grades at GCSE, including English and Maths
- Have a language GCSE at grade C or above
- Be predicted at least BBC at A-level
- Live in/within a commutable distance from London
Priority will be given to students who:
- are or have been eligible for Free School Meals
- are first generation in their family to attend university
This programme has a particular but not restricted focus on languages. It is suitable for students interested in pursuing higher education studies in art and humanities, languages and culture, law and social sciences.
Deadline for applications 24 September 2014.
Students with disabilities* and experience of care are actively encouraged to apply.
For a copy of the leaflet and the application form, please click the download links on the right.
Students interested in this programme may also wish to apply for the Sixth Form Language Ambassador Programme run under the Routes into Languages programme. Please go to the Routes Into Languages website for more details.
*Equality Act (2010): A person is disabled if they have a physical or mental condition which has a significant , adverse and long term effect on the person's ability to do everyday tasks.