Applying for a Student Visa
To apply for a Tier-4 Adult/General student visa you must:
- Have been issued with a CAS number from SOAS.
- In addition to the CAS number, we will email you a copy of the details that have been submitted to UKVI. You should use this information to complete your visa application.
Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
Before you can apply for a Tier-4 Adult/General Student visa, you must have been issued with a CAS reference number (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies) from SOAS. A CAS is a unique 12 digit reference number issued to each applicant. The CAS number is valid for 6 months only. If the CAS is not used within 6 months from the date it was issued, it will automatically be invalid. Applicants must apply for their visa up to and no more than 3 months prior to the start of the programme.
- You will also have to submit all the original documentation (eg; Degree certificates/transcripts/ approved UKVI Standard English Language Test - SELT) that have been used by SOAS as the basis of the offer of a place.
- Show you have enough money to pay your tuition fees, maintenance costs of your course/programme or that you have already paid them.
- Show you have the required amount to cover your living expenses for the first 9 months of your course and the required amount for any dependant if applicable.
- Funds can come from an official sponsor such as your government, SOAS, or the UK government and/or must have been held in a bank account in your name for at least 28 days before you apply for the visa.
Detailed guidance on financial maintenance requirements for visa applicants is available on the UKVI guidance note (page 36- 40).
Information on Student Visitor visas
Please note that students attending programmes that last no longer than six months can enter the UK on a Student Visitor Visa and do not require a CAS number. A letter confirming the student’s acceptance on the course can be issued instead.
For students who are only attending the IFCELS English courses, please contact the IFCELS General Office to request a confirmation letter for the purposes of obtaining a Student Visitor Visa.
For students who are enrolling for one term only as a Visiting Research Student, please email email@example.com
For students who are enrolling for one term only as a Study Abroad or Exchange Student, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Visitors still need to provide detailed information to the UKVI (including information on their finances) and depending on their nationality, may need to apply for Student Visitor status before arriving in the UK. Please refer to the UKVI information on Student Visas for further details.
We hope the above information will help to clarify the options but if there are any further questions regarding visa matters please do not hesitate to contact the Student Advisor (Immigration and Finance) on email@example.com
If you are a student returning to SOAS to retake a failed or deferred exam or to submit a dissertation but without receiving further supervision from SOAS or retaking any of the courses, then SOAS is not able to sponsor you for a Tier 4 student visa for any of these purposes. We advise that you return to the UK as a student visitor.
In these circumstances SOAS cannot provide a CAS for a Tier 4 application but we will be happy to supply you with a letter to include with your student visitor visa application, if you have to apply for a student visitor visa. This letter will confirm the dates and reason for your visit to the UK. If you would like such a letter, please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.