What information needs to be included in the reference?
Your reference should include an opinion (in English) on your academic and personal suitability for the proposed programme of study.
If you are applying for any MSc Economics programme it is particularly important for the referee to comment on your grasp of basic mathematical and statistical concepts, and microeconomic and macroeconomic concepts.
Furthermore it would be helpful if the reference could discuss:
- ability to pursue your own initiatives
- ability to work alone for short periods
- ability to synthesise material from different sources
- originality in interpretation
- fluency in articulating an argument
- discipline in submitting written work on time
- ability to co-operate in the life and work of the academic community.
If there is a first degree examination outstanding, some indication of the class of degree you expect to obtain.
How can I submit my references?
- Enter your referee's email address in the relevant section of the online application form.
- Confirm whether you want your referees to submit their references online or by post.
- If you select the online option, your referees will be automatically contacted and will be invited to submit their recommendations online.
- If you do not select the online option, your referees will have to send their recommendations directly to us either via email or to the postal address below.
References sent from a Hotmail/Gmail/Yahoo or similar free-use accounts might not be acceptable and we may ask to see the hard copies before assessing your application.
Emailed references must be sent directly by the referee to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating your name, the programme applied for and their full contact details. References must sent from the referee's university / work email address.
All references submitted by post must be on letter headed paper, signed and dated. References sent via email from a non-university email address must also be on letter headed paper and signed before being scanned as an attachment and emailed to us.
References sent by post must be submitted in a sealed envelope signed across the seal.
We do not accept references sent directly by applicants.
Masters Admissions SOAS, Student Admissions and Recruitment, Room G1, Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H OXG
I have graduated more than 3 years ago and having difficulties locating my academic tutors. What do I do?
If you have graduated more than 3 years ago you can submit one academic reference and one professional. If you have graduated more than 5 years ago, we can consider two professional references as long as they are relevant to the course you are applying for.