Undergraduate Student Accommodation at SOAS
London offers a great range of accommodation and living in the world's most exciting city is surprisingly affordable - London is the 10th most cost effective place to study in the UK, making it the 6th most cost-effective place to study in England (Student Living Index 2015). So, by choosing carefully according to your budget and social priorities, you can get the most out of your student life.
Find out all you need to know about your accommodation options through our Accommodation Webpage, including our newly available Head Lease properties managed by the University of London Housing Services.
Student Halls of Residence, SOAS, Intercollegiate and Private
All new undergraduates from outside London are advised to apply for a place in a student residence. We have around 1000 bed spaces available each year and while we try to offer accommodation to as many new students as possible, unfortunately we are unable to guarantee campus housing for all new students.
The School will do everything it can to help you to apply for accommodation. If we are unable to offer you a place in a student residence, we will be able to provide you with the help and advice you need to find accommodation elsewhere.
SOAS Hall of Residence - Dinwiddy House
SOAS undergraduate students have exclusive access to Dinwiddy House, which is located on Pentonville Road (N1), adjacent to Vernon Square and a 20-minute walk from Russell Square.
- Mixed residence, self-catering
- 510 single en-suite rooms arranged in cluster flats of five to seven rooms with a shared kitchen/dining area
- Basic broadband internet service included (upgradable for an additional fee)
- Communal areas: common room with a TV, DVD player and vending machines; laundry room; secure bike shed
- Bed linen not provided but available for purchase (subject to availability)
- Wheelchair access and rooms specially equipped for students with disabilities. Please discuss any specific needs you might have with the SOAS Disability Officer before applying.
- Contracts are for 38 weeks and inclusive of the Christmas and Easter breaks (stays may be extendable during the summer, subject to availability)
- Dinwiddy House is managed by Sanctuary Students. For more information and to apply please visit their website Sanctuary Students .
SOAS students may also apply for a place in one of the Intercollegiate Halls owned and maintained by the University of London. This offers a valuable opportunity to mix with students from other colleges of the University. All provide catering, offering breakfast and evening meals on weekdays and all meals at weekends.
Buildings tend to be older than those of the SOAS residences and therefore many rooms do not have more modern conveniences such as en-suite facilities, however, personal telephones and data points for internet connection are now offered. The fees vary but are inclusive of the vacation periods.
The Intercollegiate Halls vary considerably in age and style of building. Students with special needs are advised to discuss them with the individual residence prior to application.
Approximately 170 places are reserved for SOAS students each year. For more information and to apply for a place please see Santuary Students Iintercollegiate Halls.
Note: Study Abroad or Semester Abroad, Erasmus/Socrates and Exchange Students should also follow the guidelines given above for undergraduate students. Please see the Accommodation for Study Abroad Students pages.
Claredale House is owned and managed by Cass and Claredale Housing Association.
Claredale Street, E2 6PE
Claredale is a recently refurbished 4-storey block of flats (please note there are no lifts) arranged around an internal courtyard with lockable front gates. There are 246 single study rooms which are grouped into 59 flats, with 2 – 7 bedrooms in each flat (the vast majority of flats have 4 bedrooms). Each room has wired and wireless internet access and each flat has shared cooking, shower and toilet facilities and a phone line for incoming and emergency service calls only. All flats are non-smoking, weekly rates start at £139.00.
London also has a range of independent halls for undergraduate students in London, many of which are close to SOAS, for example:
- Ashwell House (Catholic ethos/Opus Dei,but open to female students of all faiths)
- Claredale House, managed by the CAS and Claredale Housing Association
- Elisabeth Croll House, managed by UNITE - studios and flats, ideally located for SOAS students
- Hillel House (For orthodox Jewish students)
- YMCA Indian Student Hostel
- International Students House
- Lee Abbey International Students Club (Christian ethos, but open to students of all faiths or none)
- Mansion Student
- Netherhall House (Run by lay members of the Catholic Church/Opus Dei, but open to male students of all faiths)
- Newman House (Run by the Catholic Chaplaincy)
- Prodigy Living King's Cross
- Pickwick Hall
- The Wesley
- Viridian Housing (has a short-stay hostel for female students)
- Victoria League Student House (For UK and Commonwealth students only, preference given to students aged 18–30 years)