Certificates and Diplomas
SOAS runs a range of non-degree courses, these include:
- Undergraduate Certificates
- Language Certificates and Diplomas
- Postgraduate Diplomas
- Foundation Diplomas
How to Apply
Applicants should complete the online form on the right of this page. The deadline is 30th June each year but early application is advisable. If you have any queries please contact email@example.com.
The following certificates are taught by academic departments at SOAS and they are generally based on undergraduate degree programmes.
- Ancient Near Eastern Studies Students can only start this certificate in odd years, for example 2015, 2017, 2019
- Arabic Studies
- Modern Hebrew
- Politics and International Studies
- Sanskrit Diploma
- South Asian Studies
- Study of Religions
- Turkish Studies
The following certificates and diplomas are offered by the Language Centre.
- Communicative Arabic (full time)
- Communicative Chinese (full time)
- Communicative Japanese (full time)
- Communicative Korean (full time)
The Language Centre also teaches a wide range of languages, which you can study for a shorter period in the evening or on Saturday. Please go to the Language Centre for a full list.
Diplomas are qualifications in their own right and are taken by students who do not wish to do a full masters degree.
The diplomas for which graduates may register at the School are as follows:
- Postgraduate Diploma in International Studies and Diplomacy. This is run by the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD).
- Diploma or Certificate in Asian Art. This programme offers a unique opportunity to study the arts of Asia and the Islamic world.
- Postgraduate Certificate / Diploma in Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language
- Postgraduate Certificate / Diploma in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language
In some cases, certificates or diplomas can provide preparation for a Masters programme, eg:
- Graduate Diploma in Economics. This is an ideal conversion programme for those who do not hold an undergraduate degree in Economics but wish to pursue a course of study or career in this field. Teaching will be at an undergraduate level.
- Certificate in Politics and International Studies. The Certificate in Politics and International Studies is a one-year course that is offered by the department to those who are keen to study politics at Masters level, but do not have a first degree in the subject.
These are designed specifically for students coming from other university systems and who need or would like the opportunity to adjust to the specific requirements of the British system. They include a substantial English-language component. SOAS foundation diplomas are recognised throughout the UK university sector.
- Foundation Diploma for Postgraduate Studies (FDPS). This integrates courses in relevant subjects such as international relations, media studies, business studies and literature, taught at advanced undergraduate level, with English-language classes designed specifically for the subjects concerned.