Why choose SOAS?
Meet the World at SOAS
Every year SOAS attracts hundreds of students from around the world. There are many reasons why you should study at SOAS too.
- SOAS is unique. It is the only higher education institution in Europe specialising in the study of Africa, Asia and the Middle East. The School also has the largest concentration of specialist faculty concerned with the study of Africa, Asia and the Middle East at any university in the world.
- The SOAS Library is one of only five National Research Libraries in the UK, with more than 1.5 million items and extensive electronic resources in 400 languages. As the national library for the study of Africa, Asia and the Middle East it attracts scholars from all over the world.
- SOAS offers a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degrees. Students can choose from more than 350 undergraduate degree combinations and from almost 200 postgraduate programmes (taught and distance learning) in the social sciences, humanities and languages with a distinctive regional focus and global relevance, taught by world-renowned teachers in specialist faculties.
- SOAS is consistently ranked among the top higher education institutions in the UK and the world. In 2014, SOAS has been rated ninth in Europe and 26th in the world for Arts and Humanities by Times Higher Education World University Rankings; it is one of London's top four universities and in the UK top ten for staff-student ratio, according to both the Times-Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014 and the Guardian University Guide 2013; QS World University Rankings 2014 places SOAS’ teaching of Modern Languages sixth in the UK and 32nd internationally. Politics and International Studies ranked 11th in the UK, placing them in the top 100 in the world; Anthropology, Sociology and Development Studies were 13th in the UK, also in the top 100 in the world; History and Archaeology were ranked 18th in the UK and Communications and Media Studies 23rd in the UK.
- The School’s academic excellence has also been recognised in research assessment exercises (RAEs). SOAS is a UK leader in the study of Asia and in the UK top 10 in most other subjects (RAE 2008). It is 6th in the UK for academic reputation (QS World University Rankings 2013)
- SOAS offers a friendly, vibrant campus in the heart of the world's greatest city. London's rich cultural and social life is literally on its doorstep. It offers students an unparalleled environment in which to live and study, being a centre for government and law, Europe’s leading financial market, a style-setting centre of multi-cultural life and intellectual hub. SOAS' small size and low ratio of staff to students makes an intimate community at the centre of the university quarter of historic Bloomsbury, with the world renowned British Museum and the British Library close by
- SOAS is diverse and lively. The international environment and cosmopolitan character of the School make student life a challenging, rewarding and exciting experience. SOAS is one of the world's top ten universities for the percentage of international students (QS World University Rankings 2013), welcoming the brightest minds from more than 133 countries.
- Small group teaching remains an important feature of study at SOAS. Our student-staff ratio (11.3:1) is one of the best in the UK.
- SOAS offers an unparalleled range of non-European languages, all of which may be studied without previous knowledge.
- SOAS takes student services seriously and offers many sources of support and advice on matters ranging from finance to exam worries. Among others, we have a dedicated Welfare team, Careers Service, Disability Advisor, Diversity Advisor and dedicated academic advisors for undergraduate, postgraduate/research and mature students.
- SOAS students are satisfied. 89% of students are satisfied with the quality of teaching; 88% satisfied with the overall experience and 88% satisfied with library and IT resources (National Student Survey 2013).
- SOAS prepares you for todays job market... Over 100 employers take part in careers events on the SOAS campus every year. Many more advertise their vacancies through the SOAS Careers Service system. All are seeking the often unique combination of skills and knowledge acquired from the SOAS study programmes.
We welcome you to become part of the SOAS experience and invite you to learn more about us by exploring our website.