- Email: email@example.com
Department of Anthropology and Sociology
Current PhD Students
Narratives of Contestation, Politics of Gender: Young Women’s Agency in Revolutionary Egypt.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"They are destroying the image of Egypt": Tourism, Egyptian nationhood and infrastructures of image making.
- Email: Karin.email@example.com
A sounded ethnography of an Anglican church in London
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
'There goes the neighbourhood': Urban renewal, belonging, and working-class Paris (provisional)
- Email: email@example.com
The Catholic workers: An ethnography of an organisation
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ridley Road and Broadway Market: Food markets, social change, and the construction of community in Hackney’s ‘Urban Village’ (working title)
- Email: email@example.com
Marrying the other: Marrying the other: Local ethnic boundaries and the politics of inter-ethnic marriage on Hainan Island
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The cultural economy of 'land grabs' in Zambia (working title).
- Email: email@example.com
Crafting Knowledge Through Textiles in Ewe-speaking Ghana
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Delicacies: Indian Restaurants in Guangzhou.
- Email: email@example.com
Medicalization and Meaning: Male Circumcision, Female Genital Cutting and HIV in Northern Tanzania (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Learning Bharatanatyam: Bodily, Sensory and Social Enskilment in South Indian Dance.
- Email: email@example.com
Elsewhere as elsewhen: Intergenerational diasporic narratives after Yugoslavia (provisional)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contesting the Ordinary: Children's Perspectives on 'Child Protection' in Educational Settings in Zanzibar, Tanzania.
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
'Asian' spaces in an 'African' city: an ethnography of postcolonial Mombasa
- Email: email@example.com
Domestic Cooking in Morocco: Skill, Knowledge Transmission and Social Change (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Towards an Anthropology of Coups in Fiji.
- Email: email@example.com
Pious Entertainment - Changing Forms and Notions of Piety in Pakistan (Provisional).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Development and Nation-Building in the Sindh Borderlands of Pakistan [working title]
- Email: email@example.com
In Search of the “Good Life” in Contemporary China: Stories from Shenzhen.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email: email@example.com
Being Tibetan in Shangri-La: Tibetans' interactions with development projects in Southwest China
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email: email@example.com
Songs of Migration: Experiences of Music, Place Making and Identity Negotiation amongst Zimbabwean Migrants in London
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
An Ethnographic Study of Ecological Food Entrepreneurs in China (Working Title).
- Email: email@example.com
The Metamorphosis of the Greek Cuisine: National identity, tradition, heritage and memory as narratives of change from the Athens Market (working title).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
‘Self-help by the people!’: Politics, morality and change in British food co-ops (working title)
- Email: email@example.com
Food movements in the ‘Big Society’
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closure of European borders and mobility in Senegal
- Email: email@example.com
Playing at Football: Time, Pleasure and Identity Politics in Transnational Nepal.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Playing in Kōenji: making street music in a Tokyo neighbourhood (working title).
- Email: email@example.com
The Postcolonial Consumption of Colonial Legacies: The Contemporary Social Life of Postcards from British India.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
At Home with Modernity: Exploring Place-making on the Margins of Casablanca.
- Email: email@example.com
The dynamics of Japanese identity amongst Japanese young migrants in Dublin
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A Cross-national and inter-generational investigation of Eritrean migrants in London and Milan (Working title)
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Affecting the Wheel of Time: Tibetan Migrant Engagements with Time and Documentation
Recently Awarded PhDs
- Baum, Antonia. Surprising Reality: Performing Reconciliation in Israel-Palestine (Dr C Osella)
- Boni, Zofia. Children and Food in Warsaw: Negotiating Feeding and Eating (Prof H West)
- Costa, Alessia. Unfitting Parts: The Moral, Political, and Informal Economies of 'Japanese' Organ Transplants (Dr C Davis)
- Elsing, Sarah. Border Regulars: An Ethnographic Enquiry into the Becomings of the Thai-Lao Border from the Vantage of Small-Scale Trade (Dr K Retsikas)
- Janarthanan, Dhivya. The Country Near the City: Social Space and Dominance in Tamil Nadu (Prof D Mosse)
- Jonsson, Gunvor. The End of the Railway Line. Malian Women, Mobility and Trade in Dakar (Prof Richard Fardon)
- Karkabi, Nadeem. Neither Heroes nor Victims: Politics of Pleasure, Ethics of Resistance and Defiant-Playful Subjectivities at the Palestinian Alternative Music Scene in Israel and the West Bank (Dr K Retsikas)
- Kumar, Amit Kisku. A Reflexive Ethnography of Santal Indigeneity and Environmentality in Jungle Mahals, India (Prof Simpson)
- McKenzie, Robert. Against Refugees: An Ethnography of Asylum Seeking in Egypt (Dr J Campbell / Prof Johan Pottier)
- Senaratne, Sunari. Surviving the Wave: Reconstruction After the Tsunami on the South-Western Coast of Sri Lanka (Prof D Mosse)
- Simpson, Sylvia. Technologies for the Self: Japanese Women in the UK and Their Media (Dr S Hughes)
- Zoccatelli, Giulia. Globalizing Empowerment: An Ethnography of AIDS, Heroin and Civil Society in Post-Socialist China (Dr K Latham)
- Cagat, Kathrine. Beyond the fields: Ethnographic explorations on notions and practices of sustainability in Ifugao, Philippines (Dr Fabio Gygi)
- Irving, Miranda. Seeking Mobility and Stability: The Everyday Lives and Labours of Minangkabau Migrant Women in New Order Indonesia (Dr K Retsikas)
- Klaeger, Gabriel. Speed Matters: An Ethnography of a Ghanaian Highway, its Perils and Potentialities (Prof Richard Fardon)
- Murphy, Seamus. Contested Meanings through Social Change: An Ethnography of Institutions, Organisations, Ideologies and Power in the Market Development of the Lake Chilwa Commons (Prof Johan Pottier)
- Ono, Sayako. Ballet as Liberation: Dreams, Desire and Resistance among Urban Japanese Women (Dr D Martinez)
- Robinson, Caitlin. Becoming Beautiful: Narratives of Cosmetic Surgery and Temporality in Beirut (Dr G vom Bruck)
- Rommel, Carl. Revolution, Play and Feeling: Assembling Emotionality, National Subjectivity and Football in Cairo, 1990-2013 (Dr S Hughes)
- Sackey, Shirley. Ghanaian Organizations in New York and London: Transnational Concepts of Home and Belonging (Dr P Raman)
- Warsi, Sahil. Being and Belonging in Delhi: Afghan Individuals and Communities in a Global City (Dr C Osella)