- Email: email@example.com
Department of Anthropology and Sociology
Narratives of Contestation, Politics of Gender: Young Women’s Agency in Revolutionary Egypt.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"They are destroying the image of Egypt": Tourism, Egyptian nationhood and infrastructures of image making.
- Email: Karin.email@example.com
A sounded ethnography of an Anglican church in London
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
'There goes the neighbourhood': Urban renewal, belonging, and working-class Paris (provisional)
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Children and Food in Warsaw: Negotiating Feeding and Eating (working title).
- Email: email@example.com
Ridley Road and Broadway Market: Food markets, gentrification, and the construction of community in Hackney’s ‘Urban Village’ (working title).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Marrying the other: Marrying the other: Local ethnic boundaries and the politics of inter-ethnic marriage on Hainan Island
- Email: email@example.com
The cultural economy of 'land grabs' in Zambia (working title).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Crafting Knowledge Through Textiles in Ewe-speaking Ghana
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Delicacies: Indian Restaurants in Guangzhou.
- Email: email@example.com
Medicalization and Meaning: Male Circumcision, Female Genital Cutting and HIV in Northern Tanzania (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Learning Bharatanatyam: Bodily, Sensory and Social Enskilment in South Indian Dance.
- Email: email@example.com
Elsewhere as elsewhen: Intergenerational diasporic narratives after Yugoslavia (provisional)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Thai-Lao border as a contested space – An ethnography of small-scale cross-border trade (working title)
- Email: email@example.com
Contesting the Ordinary: Children's Perspectives on 'Child Protection' in Educational Settings in Zanzibar, Tanzania.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email: email@example.com
'Asian' spaces in an 'African' city: an ethnography of postcolonial Mombasa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Domestic Cooking in Morocco: Skill, Knowledge Transmission and Social Change (working title)
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
At the End of the Railway Line. Malian Female Traders in the Senegalese Capital.
- Email: email@example.com
Towards an Anthropology of Coups in Fiji.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Neither Victims nor Heroes: Politics of Pleasure, Ethics of Resistance and Defiant Subjectivities at the Palestinian Alternative Music Scene in Israel and the West Bank.
- Email: email@example.com
Pious Entertainment - Changing Forms and Notions of Piety in Pakistan (Provisional).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Development and Nation-Building in the Sindh Borderlands of Pakistan [working title]
- Email: email@example.com
In Search of the “Good Life” in Contemporary China: Stories from Shenzhen.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Santals, Forest, and State Relationships: Interplay of Ethnic Identity and Environmentality in Jungle Mahals, India (Working Title).
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Being Tibetan in Shangri-La: Tibetans' interactions with development projects in Southwest China
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Songs of Migration: Experiences of Music, Place Making and Identity Negotiation amongst Zimbabwean Migrants in London
- Email: email@example.com
An Ethnographic Study of Ecological Food Entrepreneurs in China (Working Title).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Metamorphosis of the Greek Cuisine: National identity, tradition, heritage and memory as narratives of change from the Athens Market (working title).
- Email: email@example.com
‘Self-help by the people!’: Politics, morality and change in British food co-ops (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Dialogic Imagination: Art, Ethnicity and Social Suffering in Contemporary Kyrgyzstan
- Email: email@example.com
Food movements in the ‘Big Society’
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closure of European borders and mobility in Senegal
- Email: email@example.com
Playing at Football: Time, Pleasure and Identity Politics in Transnational Nepal.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Playing in Kōenji: making street music in a Tokyo neighbourhood (working title).
- Email: email@example.com
Japanese Women in the UK and their Media (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Postcolonial Consumption of Colonial Legacies: The Contemporary Social Life of Postcards from British India.
- Email: email@example.com
At Home with Modernity: Exploring Place-making on the Margins of Casablanca.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The dynamics of Japanese identity amongst Japanese young migrants in Dublin
- Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email: email@example.com
Transnational ties and identity construction among Eritrean youth living in the diaspora.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email: email@example.com
Globalizing Empowerment: an ethnography of heroin, AIDS and civil society in post-socialist China (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Affecting the Wheel of Time: Ethnographic Encounters with Tibetan Migrant Affective Critiques of Documentary Temporality
More information on the Department’s PhD program can be found here.
Recently Awarded PhDs
- Sunari Senaratne Surviving the Wave: Reconstruction After the Tsunami on the South-Western Coast of Sri Lanka (Prof D Mosse)
- Kathrine Cagat Beyond the fields: Ethnographic explorations on notions and practices of sustainability in Ifugao, Philippines (Dr Fabio Gygi)
- Miranda Irving Seeking Mobility and Stability: The Everyday Lives and Labours of Minangkabau Migrant Women in New Order Indonesia (Dr K Retsikas)
- Gabriel Klaeger 'Speed Matters: An Ethnography of a Ghanaian Highway, its Perils and Potentialities' (Prof Richard Fardon)
- Seamus Murphy Contested Meanings through Social Change; An Ethnography of Institutions, Organisations, Ideologies and Power in the Market Development of the Lake Chilwa Commons (Prof Johan Pottier)
- Carl Rommel Revolution, play and feeling: Assembling emotionality, national subjectivity and football in Cairo, 1990-2013 (Dr S Hughes)
- Shirley Sackey Ghanaian Organizations in New York and London: Transnational Concepts of Home and Belonging (Dr P Raman)
- Sahil Warsi Being and Belonging in Delhi: Afghan Individuals and Communities in a Global City (Dr C Osella)
- Azza Ahmed Abdel Aziz Yacoub Confronting Marginality and Otherness - Knowledge Production and the Recasting of Identity through Therapeutic and Embodied Encounters among Internally Displaced People from Southern Sudan (Dr C Davis)
- Suzuka Sato Contesting and Negotiating with the State: Local Responses to Land and Forest Policies Under Doi Moi in a Village in a Protected Forest Area in the Northern Uplands of Vietnam (Dr J Campbell)
- Shilpa Tiwari Social Representation and Rural Development: Transformation in governance, institutions, and livelihoods in response to emerging global markets for medicinal plants in the Indian Himalayas (Prof D Mosse)
- Diana Ibanez Tirado Temporality and Subjectivity in Kulob, Southern Tajikistan: An ethnography of ordinary people and their everyday lives.
- Sohini Sengupta ‘Being Hungry, Becoming Free: Marginality, Identity and Livelihoods in Rural Western Orissa’ (Prof D Mosse)
- Andre Chappatte Walking an earthly path; everyday Islam in Bougouni, a town of southwest Mali. (Prof R Fardon)
- Philomena Benedicta Camelia Keet Mimicking in a Material World: Negotiating stylish selves and networks in a Tokyo youth fashion scene.
- Paul Rollier “We’re not genuine Muslims”: spoken Islam, Shi‘i mourning and morality in urban Pakistan ( Dr M Marsden)
- Brendan Michael Donegan ‘An anthropological study of health activism in western India’ (Prof D Mosse)
- Debojyoti Das Contested Development: Problems and Dilemmas in Sustainable Jhum Redevelopment in Nagaland (Prof D Mosse)
- Shireen Mirza Embodying Pasts: Ritual and memory of Shi’a practices in India’s Deccan (Dr S Hughes)
- Alice Tilche Broken Frames: tribal museums, representation and marginality in contemporary India (Prof D Mosse)
- Pei-Chien Challenging the Ethnic Paradigm: Religious Conversion and Identity Construction amongst Chinese Muslims in Penang, Malaysia.
- Ashraf Hoque Generation Terror: Muslim Youth, Being British, And Not So British (Dr P Raman)
- James Edward Russell Cultural Property and Heritage in Japan
- Reza Gholami 'Who Needs Islam?': 'Non-Islamiosity' and the Production of Diaspora among Iranian Shi`a in London (Dr P Raman)
- Roberta Zavoretti An ethnographic inquiry into the limits of China's 'rural to urban migrant' paradigm. (Dr C Osella)
- Giulia Battaglia Documentary Film Practices in India: History of the Present.
- Luigi Achilli Does the political bore? The denial and camouflage of the "political" in a Palestinian refugee camp.
- Priya Das ‘Politics of Participatory Conservation: the Case of Kailadevi Wildlife Sanctuary, Rajasthan, India’ (Prof D Mosse)
- Annekarijn De Jong The Silent Voice: Palestinian And Israeli Nonviolent Activism And Resistance (Dr G Vom Bruck)
- Ole Martin Gaasholt Associating with an Overstretched State: Politics in Tuareg-Dominated Malian Gourma. (Prof R Fardon)
- Miki Kawabata (Re)locating identities in the Ancestral Homeland: The Complexities of Belonging among the Migrants from Peru in Okinawa. (Dr D Martinez)
- Mahnaz Marashi Devout Intellects: Knowledge and Scholarly Practice in an Islamic Academy in Malaysia (Prof J.D.Y. Peel)
- Monica Mottin Rehearsing For Life: Theatre For Social Change In Kathmandu, Nepal (Prof D Mosse)
- Debbie Whelan Trading Lives: the commercial, social and political communities of the Zululand trading store. (Prof T Marchand)
- Joel Bernardo Contested 'right to remain' and 'option to return': Making sense of migrant 'ineligibility' among Filipinos in a London suburb.
- Nattaka Chaisinthop The Power of Good: Volunteering and Giving in Thailand.
- Madalina Florescu Ethnographic Contexts: Encountering a First Post-Independence Cohort of Padres Nativos in Luanda, 2006-2007.
- Paul Simon Hansen Hokkaido Dairy Farm: Change, Otherness, And The Search For Security. (Dr D Martinez)
- Julie Soleil Archambault Cruising Through Uncertainty: Mobile Phone Practices, Occulted Economies And The Politics Of Respect In Southern Mozambique. (Prof H West)
- Eduardo Zachary Albrecht Rising South: Music, Body, And Politics In A Naples Nightclub (Prof J Pottier)
- Emma Elizabeth Cook Failing Freeters: Young Men, Masculinity And Adulthood In Japan (Dr D Martinez)
- Dorota Szawarska Kinship- An Ambivalent Relation: The Case Of Sakhalin Korean Repatriates. (Dr C Osella)
- Jill Singer The Eve Complex: A Feminist Approach To Psycho-Sexual And Social Development (Dr D Martinez)
- Mira Juhi Mohsini Becoming An "Asli Karigar": The Production Of Authenticity Among Old Delhi'S Muslim Artisans. (Dr C Osella)
- Wing-Fai Leung Image, Performance And Identity: An Exploration Of The Cultural And Social Meanings Of Multi-Media Stardom In Hong Kong 1980-2005 (Dr K Latham)
- Mari Hirano The Aids Epidemic Among Haemophiliacs In Japan: The Mother's Experience (Dr D Martinez)
- Jane Alaszewska The Music Of Shamans, Weavers And Exiles: An Ethnomusicological Study Of The Performing Arts Of The Southern Izu Islands (Dr S Hughes)
- Nuno Miguel Rodrigues Domingos Football In Colonial Lourenco Marques: Bodily Practices And Social Rituals (Prof H West)
- Yuen Fun So The Making Of Inabilities: Governance And The Strategies Of Social Actors In A Development Project In An Ethical Minority Community In Southwest China (Dr J Klein)
- Luke Alexander Hallett Robinson Xianchang: On Location With China's New Documentary Film Movement (Dr K Latham)
- Ritu Verma Inside The Development Machine: Culture, Science And Discontent In The Central Highlands Of Madagascar (Prof J Pottier)
- Patrik Meier People Of The Suq: Identity, Practice, And Place-Making In Aleppo's Old City Market. (Prof T Marchand)
- Silke Niehusmann Manga - Lost In Translation? (Dr D Martinez)
- Nacim Pak Shiism And Film: Religion And Spirituality In Iranian Cinema (Dr G Vom Bruck)
- Herbert Samuel Gayle Urban Poverty And Violence: A Study Of Selected Inner City Communities In Jamaica And Britain (Dr J Campbell)
- George Joseph Kunnath From The Mud Houses Of Magadh: Dalits, Naxalites And The Making Of A Revolution In Bihar, India (Prof D Mosse)
- Katia Fabbri Family Medicine From Counter-Culture To Role-Model: An Anthropological Look Into The Teaching And Practice Of Family Medicine In The United States (Dr C Davis)
- Sandra Fahy Tales From The Bottom Of The Well: Famine Survivor Testimonies From North Korea (Prof J Pottier)
- Anne Mette Fisker-Nielsen Young Soka Gakkai Members' Support For Kompito: The Interpellation Of Religious Idealism And Political Reality In Contemporary Japan (Dr D Martinez)
- Alex Cockain An Anthropological Study Of Youth In New Millenium China. (Dr K Latham)
- Lindi Renier Todd What's In A Name? The Politics Of The Past Within Afrikaner Identifications In Post-Apartheid South Africa (Dr C Davis)
- Nicholas Ivo Walton Gray No Tree Is Untouched By The Wind: Aspects Of Composition And Improvisation In Balinese Gender Wayang (Dr S Hughes)
- Panagiotis Geros When Christianity Matters: The Production And Manipulation Of Communalism In Damascus, Syria (Dr D Martinez)
- Kwok-Shing Chan In Search Of Welfare And Security In Contemporary Hong Kong: An Ethnographic Perspective From A Chinese Lineage Village (Mr S Thompson)
- Virginia Noel Whiles Manoeuvering Miniatures: Tradition And Subversion In Pakistani Contemporary Art (Dr P Raman)
- Ilana Van Wyk Profit Prophets And God's Money: The Making And Unmaking Of Riches In The Universal Church Of The Kingdom Of God In Durban, South Africa (Prof H West)
- Meera Venkatachalam Slavery In Memory: A Study Of The Religious Practices Of The Anglo-Ewe (Prof J Peel)
- Anna Odland Portisch Kazakh Syrmaq-Production In Western Mongolia: Learning And Skill In A Domestic Craft Tradition (Prof T Marchand)
- David Kurt Herold Education And Progress: The Decisions Of A Chinese Minority (Mr S Thompson)
- Ingeborg Hovland Distance Destroys And Kills: An Anthropological Inquiry Into The Nature Of Faith In A Lutheran Norwegian Missionary Society (Prof J Peel)
- Makiko Taniguchi Jackie Chan Fights Lei Feng? An Anthropological Consideration Of The Televisual Representation Of Heroes In Contemporary Urban China (Mr S Thompson)
- Eleni Sideri The Greeks Of The Former Soviet Republic Of Georgia. Memories And Practices Of Diaspora. (Dr P Raman)
- Daisuke Murakami National Imaginings, Ethnic Tourism And Contested Tibetan Identities In Contemporary Lhasa, Tibet (Prc) (Dr D Martinez)
- Satoshi Ota The Ambiguous Lightness Of Being: Taiwanese Youth, Identity, And The Consumption Of Japanese Youth Culture (Dr D Martinez)
- Sheila Anne Fish Children, Media And Class In Post-Suharto Indonesia (Prof M Hobart)
- Wing Chung Ho Managing Changes In A Socialist "Model Community": The Reminiscences Of The "Revolutionary Vanguards" In Urban Shanghai In The Late 1990s (Dr K Latham)
- Kristopher Paul Chapman Inside The Dojo: Participation And Performance In The Japanese Martial Arts (Dr D Martinez)
- Yu Cheng Xian Old Music In New China: "Living Fossil" Or "Flowing River"? (Dr S Hughes)
- Rebecca Marsland Ethnographic Malaria: The Uses Of Medical Knowledge In Tanzania (Dr C Davis)
- Matthew Alexander Gillan Multiple Identities In Yaeyaman Folk Music (Dr S Hughes)
- Jakob Akiba Klein Reinventing The Traditional Guangzhou Teahouse: Caterers, Customers And Cooks In Post-Socialist Urban South China (Dr K Latham)
- Bina Desai Local Brokers: Knowledge, Trust And Organisation In The Practice Of Agricultural Extension For Small And Marginal Farmers In Rajasthan, India (Prof D Mosse)
- Khek Gee Francis Lim Imagining The Good Life In The Himalaya (Prof J Peel)