More information on the department’s PhD program can be found here.
Recently Awarded PhDs
- Sohini Sengupta ‘Being Hungry, Becoming Free: Marginality, Identity and Livelihoods in Rural Western Orissa’ (Prof D Mosse)
- Andre Chappatte Walking an earthly path; everyday Islam in Bougouni, a town of southwest Mali.
- Philomena Benedicta Camelia Keet Mimicking in a Material World: Negotiating stylish selves and networks in a Tokyo youth fashion scene.
- Paul Rollier “We’re not genuine Muslims”: spoken Islam, Shi‘i mourning and morality in urban Pakistan ( Dr M Marsden)
- Brendan Michael Donegan ‘An anthropological study of health activism in western India’ (Prof D Mosse)
- Debojyoti Das Contested Development: Problems and Dilemmas in Sustainable Jhum Redevelopment in Nagaland (Prof D Mosse)
- Shireen Mirza Embodying Pasts: Ritual and memory of Shi’a practices in India’s Deccan (Dr S Hughes)
- Alice Tilche Broken Frames: tribal museums, representation and marginality in contemporary India (Prof D Mosse)
- Pei-Chien Challenging the Ethnic Paradigm: Religious Conversion and Identity Construction amongst Chinese Muslims in Penang, Malaysia.
- Ashraf Hoque Generation Terror: Muslim Youth, Being British, And Not So British (Dr P Raman)
- James Edward Russell Cultural Property and Heritage in Japan
- Reza Gholami 'Who Needs Islam?': 'Non-Islamiosity' and the Production of Diaspora among Iranian Shi`a in London (Dr P Raman)
- Roberta Zavoretti An ethnographic inquiry into the limits of China's 'rural to urban migrant' paradigm. (Dr C Osella)
- Giulia Battaglia Documentary Film Practices in India: History of the Present.
- Luigi Achilli Does the political bore? The denial and camouflage of the "political" in a Palestinian refugee camp.
- Priya Das ‘Politics of Participatory Conservation: the Case of Kailadevi Wildlife Sanctuary, Rajasthan, India’ (Prof D Mosse)
- Annekarijn De Jong The Silent Voice: Palestinian And Israeli Nonviolent Activism And Resistance (Dr G Vom Bruck)
- Ole Martin Gaasholt Associating with an Overstretched State: Politics in Tuareg-Dominated Malian Gourma. (Prof T Marchand)
- Miki Kawabata (Re)locating identities in the Ancestral Homeland: The Complexities of Belonging among the Migrants from Peru in Okinawa. (Dr D Martinez)
- Mahnaz Marashi Devout Intellects: Knowledge and Scholarly Practice in an Islamic Academy in Malaysia (Prof J.D.Y. Peel)
- Monica Mottin Rehearsing For Life: Theatre For Social Change In Kathmandu, Nepal (Prof D Mosse)
- Debbie Whelan Trading Lives: the commercial, social and political communities of the Zululand trading store. (Prof T Marchand)
- Joel Bernardo Contested 'right to remain' and 'option to return': Making sense of migrant 'ineligibility' among Filipinos in a London suburb.
- Nattaka Chaisinthop The Power of Good: Volunteering and Giving in Thailand.
- Madalina Florescu Ethnographic Contexts: Encountering a First Post-Independence Cohort of Padres Nativos in Luanda, 2006-2007.
- Paul Simon Hansen Hokkaido Dairy Farm: Change, Otherness, And The Search For Security. (Dr D Martinez)
- Julie Soleil Archambault Cruising Through Uncertainty: Mobile Phone Practices, Occulted Economies And The Politics Of Respect In Southern Mozambique. (Prof H West)
- Eduardo Zachary Albrecht Rising South: Music, Body, And Politics In A Naples Nightclub (Prof J Pottier)
- Emma Elizabeth Cook Failing Freeters: Young Men, Masculinity And Adulthood In Japan (Dr D Martinez)
- Dorota Szawarska Kinship- An Ambivalent Relation: The Case Of Sakhalin Korean Repatriates. (Dr C Osella)
- Jill Singer The Eve Complex: A Feminist Approach To Psycho-Sexual And Social Development (Dr D Martinez)
- Mira Juhi Mohsini Becoming An "Asli Karigar": The Production Of Authenticity Among Old Delhi'S Muslim Artisans. (Dr C Osella)
- Wing-Fai Leung Image, Performance And Identity: An Exploration Of The Cultural And Social Meanings Of Multi-Media Stardom In Hong Kong 1980-2005 (Dr K Latham)
- Mari Hirano The Aids Epidemic Among Haemophiliacs In Japan: The Mother's Experience (Dr D Martinez)
- Jane Alaszewska The Music Of Shamans, Weavers And Exiles: An Ethnomusicological Study Of The Performing Arts Of The Southern Izu Islands (Dr S Hughes)
- Nuno Miguel Rodrigues Domingos Football In Colonial Lourenco Marques: Bodily Practices And Social Rituals (Prof H West)
- Yuen Fun So The Making Of Inabilities: Governance And The Strategies Of Social Actors In A Development Project In An Ethical Minority Community In Southwest China (Dr J Klein)
- Luke Alexander Hallett Robinson Xianchang: On Location With China's New Documentary Film Movement (Dr K Latham)
- Ritu Verma Inside The Development Machine: Culture, Science And Discontent In The Central Highlands Of Madagascar (Prof J Pottier)
- Patrik Meier People Of The Suq: Identity, Practice, And Place-Making In Aleppo's Old City Market. (Prof T Marchand)
- Silke Niehusmann Manga - Lost In Translation? (Dr D Martinez)
- Nacim Pak Shiism And Film: Religion And Spirituality In Iranian Cinema (Dr G Vom Bruck)
- Herbert Samuel Gayle Urban Poverty And Violence: A Study Of Selected Inner City Communities In Jamaica And Britain (Dr J Campbell)
- George Joseph Kunnath From The Mud Houses Of Magadh: Dalits, Naxalites And The Making Of A Revolution In Bihar, India (Prof D Mosse)
- Katia Fabbri Family Medicine From Counter-Culture To Role-Model: An Anthropological Look Into The Teaching And Practice Of Family Medicine In The United States (Dr C Davis)
- Sandra Fahy Tales From The Bottom Of The Well: Famine Survivor Testimonies From North Korea (Prof J Pottier)
- Anne Mette Fisker-Nielsen Young Soka Gakkai Members' Support For Kompito: The Interpellation Of Religious Idealism And Political Reality In Contemporary Japan (Dr D Martinez)
- Alex Cockain An Anthropological Study Of Youth In New Millenium China. (Dr K Latham)
- Lindi Renier Todd What's In A Name? The Politics Of The Past Within Afrikaner Identifications In Post-Apartheid South Africa (Dr C Davis)
- Nicholas Ivo Walton Gray No Tree Is Untouched By The Wind: Aspects Of Composition And Improvisation In Balinese Gender Wayang (Dr S Hughes)
- Panagiotis Geros When Christianity Matters: The Production And Manipulation Of Communalism In Damascus, Syria (Dr D Martinez)
- Kwok-Shing Chan In Search Of Welfare And Security In Contemporary Hong Kong: An Ethnographic Perspective From A Chinese Lineage Village (Mr S Thompson)
- Virginia Noel Whiles Manoeuvering Miniatures: Tradition And Subversion In Pakistani Contemporary Art (Dr P Raman)
- Ilana Van Wyk Profit Prophets And God's Money: The Making And Unmaking Of Riches In The Universal Church Of The Kingdom Of God In Durban, South Africa (Prof H West)
- Meera Venkatachalam Slavery In Memory: A Study Of The Religious Practices Of The Anglo-Ewe (Prof J Peel)
- Anna Odland Portisch Kazakh Syrmaq-Production In Western Mongolia: Learning And Skill In A Domestic Craft Tradition (Prof T Marchand)
- David Kurt Herold Education And Progress: The Decisions Of A Chinese Minority (Mr S Thompson)
- Ingeborg Hovland Distance Destroys And Kills: An Anthropological Inquiry Into The Nature Of Faith In A Lutheran Norwegian Missionary Society (Prof J Peel)
- Makiko Taniguchi Jackie Chan Fights Lei Feng? An Anthropological Consideration Of The Televisual Representation Of Heroes In Contemporary Urban China (Mr S Thompson)
- Eleni Sideri The Greeks Of The Former Soviet Republic Of Georgia. Memories And Practices Of Diaspora. (Dr P Raman)
- Daisuke Murakami National Imaginings, Ethnic Tourism And Contested Tibetan Identities In Contemporary Lhasa, Tibet (Prc) (Dr D Martinez)
- Satoshi Ota The Ambiguous Lightness Of Being: Taiwanese Youth, Identity, And The Consumption Of Japanese Youth Culture (Dr D Martinez)
- Sheila Anne Fish Children, Media And Class In Post-Suharto Indonesia (Prof M Hobart)
- Wing Chung Ho Managing Changes In A Socialist "Model Community": The Reminiscences Of The "Revolutionary Vanguards" In Urban Shanghai In The Late 1990s (Dr K Latham)
- Kristopher Paul Chapman Inside The Dojo: Participation And Performance In The Japanese Martial Arts (Dr D Martinez)
- Yu Cheng Xian Old Music In New China: "Living Fossil" Or "Flowing River"? (Dr S Hughes)
- Rebecca Marsland Ethnographic Malaria: The Uses Of Medical Knowledge In Tanzania (Dr C Davis)
- Matthew Alexander Gillan Multiple Identities In Yaeyaman Folk Music (Dr S Hughes)
- Jakob Akiba Klein Reinventing The Traditional Guangzhou Teahouse: Caterers, Customers And Cooks In Post-Socialist Urban South China (Dr K Latham)
- Bina Desai Local Brokers: Knowledge, Trust And Organisation In The Practice Of Agricultural Extension For Small And Marginal Farmers In Rajasthan, India (Prof D Mosse)
- Khek Gee Francis Lim Imagining The Good Life In The Himalaya (Prof J Peel)
Does the political bore? The denial and camouflage of the “political” in a Palestinian refugee camp.
- Email: email@example.com
Mediating the nation, making markets – productions and circulations of Egypt along international networks
- Email: Karin.firstname.lastname@example.org
Performing and Transforming Identities in Israel-Palestine (working title)
- Email: email@example.com
Children and Food in Warsaw: Discourses, Practices and Negotiations around the Process of Feeding (working title).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Testing grounds: intersections in ritual and technology in Ifugao Province
- Email: email@example.com
The cultural economy of 'land grabs' in Zambia (working title).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Crafting Knowledge Through Textiles in Ewe-speaking Ghana
- Email: email@example.com
Medicalization and Meaning: Male Circumcision, Female Genital Cutting and HIV in Northern Tanzania (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spaces for negotiation and mass action: an anthropological study of Jan Swasthya Abhiyan (People’s Health Movement), the National Rural Health Mission and the right to health movement in India
- Email: email@example.com
Enskilment in a South Indian classical dance form Knowledge transmission and improvisation skills in Bharatanatyam
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracing gendered 'homes' in diasporic intergenerational narratives of Yugoslavia.
- Email: email@example.com
Bahais, Iranian Christians of Muslim-background, and Zoroastrians in the greater Washington metropolitan area an ethnographic exploration of religious minority communities in migration context.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contesting the Ordinary: Children's Perspectives on 'Child Protection' in Educational Settings in Zanzibar, Tanzania.
- Email: email@example.com
Globalizing Empowerment: an ethnography of AIDS and civil society in post-socialist China (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Domestic Cooking in Morocco: Skill, Knowledge Transmission and Social Change (working title)
- Email: email@example.com
Contemporary Tang-ki and Lingji Mediumship in Singapore and Taiwan: A Comparative Study of Two Folk Taoist Religious Landscapes
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Working title) Ethnicity, coups and the ethnographic present in Fiji.
- Email: email@example.com
‘Arab A-dub Attack’: The Palestinian Alternative Music Scene in Israel and the West Bank (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pious Entertainment – Changing Forms and Notions of Piety in Pakistan
- Email: email@example.com
(Working Title) 'African Fever'; the politics of race in the international circus arena
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
State, Forest and People: The Changing Relationship and its Impact on the Modern Forests of India
- Email: email@example.com
Rush and relax: Intricate movements, fleeting encounters and the dilemmas of speed on a Ghanaian road (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chinese student migrants in Japan: cosmopolitanism, quality and individualism (working title).
- Email: email@example.com
Changing notions of sexuality in Mozambique
Songs of Migration: Experiences of Music, Place Making and Identity Negotiation amongst Zimbabwean Migrants in London
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
'Power, Development Discourses, and Food Security; the changing entitlements of Lake Chilwa’s resource-users'.
- Email: email@example.com
The Metamorphosis of the Greek Cuisine: National identity, tradition, heritage and memory as narratives of change from the Athens Market (working title).
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Dialogic Imagination: Art, Ethnicity and Social Suffering in Contemporary Kyrgyzstan
- Email: email@example.com
Bureaucrats, business and the (bio)politics of HIV in Pakistan
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Beauty Works: Cosmetic Surgery and Narratives of the Body Beautiful in Beirut (working title).
- Email: email@example.com
The Cultural Work that Football Does: interrogating emotionality, infrastructures and subjectivities along circulations of Egypt’s changing national game (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Collective Agency: Transnational Social Organization Amongst Ghanaians in London and New York
- Email: email@example.com
The Thai-Lao border as a contested space – An ethnography of small-scale cross-border trade (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Post Tsunami Dynamic: 'Reconstruction' in coastal Sri Lanka
- Email: email@example.com
At Home with Modernity: Exploring Place-making on the Margins of Casablanca.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Traditional Japanese music in Germany: transnational cultural space for gagaku music and the idea of national culture.
- Email: email@example.com
The dynamics of Japanese identity amongst Japanese young migrants in Dublin
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kinship – an ambivalent relation: the case of Sakhalin Korean Repatriates
- Email: email@example.com
Arts education in Palestine: how are artistic skills and visual sensibilities constructed? (Working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cultivating Hambastagi and Hamdardi: Personhood and Relatedness among Afghans in India (Working Title)
- Email: email@example.com
Chinese Muslim in Malaysia: the shaping of identity and ethnic boundaries
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Learning to 'Taste': Skills Transmission and Identity Formation in Cantonese Cooking Schools
- Email: email@example.com
Navigating Sovereignties: Social Navigation among Young Undocumented Tibetans in Nepal