Postgraduate Anthropology Modules
Our postgraduate modules (courses) are all either one or two terms in length, and are of four types.
1. Core Courses (1 unit)
Enrollment strictly limited to students on MA programme indicated. Students on the MA Anthropological Research Methods may also enroll, subject to approval.
- African and Asian Diasporas in the Contemporary World (Core, MA Migration and Diaspora Studies)
- Anthropology of Development (Core, MA Social Anthropology of Development)
- Anthropology of Food (Core, MA Anthropology of Food)
- Anthropology of Travel and Tourism (Core, MA Anthropology of Travel and Tourism)
- Comparative Media Studies (Core, MA Anthropology of Media)
- Comparative Studies of Society and Culture (Core, MA Social Anthropology)
- Cultural Understandings of Health (Core, MA Medical Anthropology)
- Research Methods in Anthropology (Core, MA Anthropological Research Methods)
2. Foundation course (1 unit)
Required of all MA students unless they hold a prior degree in social anthropology or equivalent.
3. Option courses (0.5 unit)
Open to all students enrolled in an Anthropology MA programme.
Term 1 (Autumn)
- African and Asian Diasporas in the Modern World
- Comparative Media Theory
- Ethnographic Research Methods
- Issues in Mind, Culture and Psychiatry
- Issues in the Anthropology of Film
- Perspectives on Development
- Religions on the Move: New Currents and Emerging Trends in Global Religion – not running 2016-17
- Therapy and Culture
- Tourism and Travel: A Global Perspective
- Culture and Society of East Africa
- Culture and Society of Japan
- Culture and Society of South Asia
Term 2 (Spring)
- African and Asian Cultures in Britain
- Anthropological Approaches to Agriculture, Food and Nutrition
- Anthropology of Globalisation
- Anthropology of Human Rights – not running 2016-17
- Anthropology of Law
- Issues in the Anthropology of Gender
- Media Production Skills
- Culture and Society of China
- Culture and Society of the Near & Middle East
- Culture and Society of South East Asia
- Culture and Society of West Africa
4. Directed Practical Study courses (0.5 unit)
Open only to students on the MA Anthropology of Food and MA Anthropology of Travel and Tourism, respectively.
- Directed Practical Study in the Anthropology of Food – not running 2016-17
- Directed Practical Study in the Anthropology of Tourism
Please note: Not all modules listed will be available every year. Please contact the relevant module convenor or Faculty Office.