Contemporary Asian Art - 27-30 May 2014 (4 days)
Specialist Art Course
Course Fee: £540
In this course, we will look at how contemporary Asian artists are engaging, from deeply embedded traditions of form, skill, craft and refinement, the seismic philosophical challenge posed by Duchamp’s Fountain a century ago.
Innovations in material, technique, installation, performance and communication in these artists’ work revisit the ultimate question of what art is from older aesthetics. We will be reflecting on whether Asian values and craft can lead us beyond the shock and abject art generated by Western conceptualism.
An array of international speakers will explore the dynamics of the booming contemporary Chinese and Indian markets, and evaluate the work of leading artists from South Asia, China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia.
Future specialist art courses:
- Collecting & Curatorship (evening classes) (2 June - 7 July 2014)
- Ceramics of the Near & Middle East (7-10 July 2014)
- Arts of the Song & Ming Dynasties (3-6 November 2014)
The course features
- Lectures by leading experts and curators
- Visits to museums and galleries
For further details contact Denise Acford
Tel: 020 7898 4451