Faculty of Arts and Humanities
Welcome to the Faculty of Arts & Humanities at SOAS, University of London. The Faculty is home to the departments of Anthropology & Sociology, Art & Archaeology, History, Music, Study of Religions and the Centre for Media Studies, as well as a number of subject specific Centres.
The study of arts and humanities has been central to SOAS activity since 1917. All Faculty staff are specialists in regions as well as disciplines, and all subjects taught at undergraduate level within the Faculty can be combined with other disciplines across the School. Indeed, the range of course options and combinations is a distinctive characteristic of studying at SOAS, with the option of studying language units included within all our degrees.
Four of our five departments obtained 5 or 5* rankings in recent Research Assessment Exercises and we continue to maintain a high status in student rankings. This is just one indication of the international importance of the research activity carried out by academic staff, and staff research provides the basis of teaching activity in the Faculty.
At postgraduate level the Faculty is committed to providing stimulating courses that enable students to study particular countries or regions in depth, and to explore comparisons and contrasts across the major areas of Asia and Africa. The programmes are designed to provide students with the knowledge they need to understand the nature of other societies and cultures, and to form ideas about the past, present and future of the complex and multicultural world in which we all live.
Key Faculty post holders are:
- The Dean of Faculty: Professor Gurharpal Singh
- Associate Dean - Learning and Teaching: Dr Charles Gore
- Associate Dean - Research: Dr Mandy Sadan
- Faculty Senior Tutor: Dr Charlotte Horlyck
- Head of the Department of Anthropology: Professor David Mosse
- Head of the School of Arts: Professor Anna Contadini
- Head of the Department of History: Dr Wayne Dooling
- Head of the Department of Study of Religions: Dr Erica Hunter
The Faculty Office is located on the third floor, room 327 of the main building at the School's Russell Square campus. This Office is the first point of contact for staff and students.
Key administrative contact points are as follows:
- Faculty Administrator: Mr Jonathan Tanner Room 320
- Faculty Project Leader: Mr David Martin Room 330
- Team Leader Student Support: Mr Mat Schofield Room 329
- Team Leader Academic Support: Ms Carol Miles Room 321
- Southeast Asian Art Academic Programme Project Administrator: Ms Simone Green Room 330