Online Submission Guide
Further guidelines on using the Turnitin submission system can be found in the Turnitin User Guide.
Below are general notes for all students with online assessed courses.
Viewing your marked essays
- When your essays have been marked your tutor will be in touch. You may then view your essay by returning to the essay submission screen.
- Essay deadlines for all online submissions are 11:59pm (23:59) on the date due. We do however advise you submit earlier than midnight in case you encounter any difficulties.
- When submitting your essay AFTER the essay deadline please email your course tutor to advise them as soon as you have submitted. Tutors will not automatically be notified of late submissions and failure to contact them could result in your essay not being marked by the final school deadline.
- If you need to submit after the final school deadline for any reason, contact your faculty office so they will know to look out for late arriving assignments.
- Penalties for late submission are applied in the same way as for paper submission. However, 2% deductions occur from midnight of each overdue day instead of 16:00.
Format and File Details
- Your essay must be submitted as one single file. Do not split your essay, bibliography or appendix items in to separate documents.
- Your essay should be formatted as single spaced, font size 12 with page numbers.
- On the first page should be displayed: your student ID, course title, course code, tutor's name, assignment number and word count.
- NOTE: If your course is assessed by Anonymous Submission, you should not have to include your student ID number.
- Your submitted file must be less than 20 MB in size.
- Essays may be in either MS Word, WordPerfect, PostScript, PDF, HTML, RTF or plain text format.
- If you have scanned your essay to a PDF file, ensure you encode the file using OCR (optical character recognition).
- Click on the relevant Turnitin Assignment icon on your Moodle page. The assignment will usually be titled "AS1", "AS2", "AS3" or "AS4".
- Switch to the My Submissions tab.
- Give your assignment a title, check the plagiarism declaration tickbox and browse to the file you wish to upload.
- Then click Add submission.
- You will receive a short "synchronising browser" screen and then be returned to the submission screen in under two minutes.
- Return to the Summary tab to check your submission has been successful.
- Final confirmation of successful submission will be provided by an automatic email delivered to your student email address. This is your proof of submission - do not delete this file. If you do not receive this receipt, re-attempt submission. If your submission is still not accepted, follow the Alternative Email Essay Submission procedures.
- Resubmitting Essays:
- Before the essay deadline has passed submitted essays are considered draft and can be resubmitted/overwritten repeatedly. To resubmit work click the resubmit button from the assignment submission screen.
- After the essay deadline essays cannot be resubmitted.
- If all attempts to submit your essay via BLE fail, alternative arrangements may be provided by your faculty office (uploading of your emailed submission for example). Guidelines on how to proceed can be found at the Alternative Submission page.