Online module sign-up - for modules to be studied in 2015/16
My Module selections
- Students must select their modules from an on-line system which guides them to the module choices within their programme of study.
- This can be done on any PC with internet access.
- The system will be available from 10am, Monday 16th March 2015
- The deadline for making your final choices is 5pm, Friday 24th April 2015
Logging in to Module Sign Up
- Log in to the Module Sign-Up system
- Please use Internet Explorer as your web browser
- Input your 6-digit SOAS student reference number and your network password (case sensitive). For any logging in problems please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- This will take you to the Module Sign Up page. You should see your Programme of Study and the year into which you will be going in September 2015. If you have logged in and do not see the correct Programme of Study and year, please contact your Faculty Office.
How to Choose your Modules in Module Sign Up
To see an expanded list of modules, click on the Show Modules button at each level. The modules available are grouped in the following ways:
- Core/compulsory modules: These modules will be automatically chosen for you and cannot be changed.
- Optional modules: These are the other available modules from within your Department.
- Open Options: These are the other available modules, usually from other Departments. Please see the tab on the left with an overview of these Language and Non-Language Open Options.
- It is recommended that you work your way down the groups as they are presented on the page as this has been structured to correspond to the information given on the programme web pages
- Tick the box next to a module if you want to choose it. Please note that sometimes you have to tick in a 'group' box above a list of modules in order to select them. This applies to groups of open options modules in particular.
- Every year of Full-time study is composed of modules which add up to the value of 4 units. Full-year module are usually valued at 1 unit and Term 1 or Term 2 only modules valued at 0.5 (or 0.4) units. Once you have chosen modules worth 4 units, you will not be able to choose any more (further tick boxes will not be able to be selected).
- If you want to change a selected module, click in the box next to it to remove the tick and choose again. Note that if you have had to click the group box above the module, you will have to un-tick this too.
- Some modules have pre/co-requisites which need to have been taken in previous sessions or the current session. Some module will therefore not be able to be selected prior to (pre-requisites taken) or after selecting (co-requisites) certain modules.
Choice types – Saving, Abandoning, Submitting, Unsubmitting Choices
- You can Save Choices (there is a button to do this at the top and bottom of the page) and log out if you do not want to submit your choices at once. You may then log back in and complete your choices at a later date.
- You can also Abandon Choices (button at top and bottom of the page) and start choosing again. This abandons only the optional modules, not the core/compulsory modules (which cannot be changed).
- To complete Module Sign Up, check that you have a total of 4 units worth of modules, then click on the red button, Submit Choices, at the top of the page. This will lead you to a page which asks that you confirm that you wish to submit your choices. Faculty staff will then check your choices and contact you if there is a problem.
- If you mistakenly clicked Submit Choices and still require to select an additional unit you may log back in and click on the Un-submit choices tab at the top of the page and all choices will be de-selected.
The small print
Whilst SOAS cannot guarantee that all modules offered during this sign-up period will be available in the next session, every effort will be made to accommodate student choices and the number of selections made to a particular module may be used to determine this availability. The information will also be used to inform the teaching timetable. It may not be possible to guarantee that all student choices will be achievable. Please see the current timetable to obtain an idea of how lecture and tutorials may be structured.
If you have any problems with choosing modules (for example, you can't find the module you want to take or you are not sure how to use the system), contact staff in your Faculty Office: