[skip to content]

International Students

Brunei Darussalam

Brunei Darussalam Flag

Welcome to the country page for the State of Brunei Darussalam which contains specific information for Bruneian students interested in studying at SOAS.

Contact Us

Laura Hayes is the International Officer for Brunei and is happy to answer any questions you have about applying to, and studying at SOAS.
Please contact l.hayes@soas.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)20 7898 4031
You can meet and talk to our staff at exhibitions held in Brunei; find our upcoming visits on Meet SOAS staff in your Area

Minimum Entry Requirements

The below are guidelines only and do not guarantee entry. Each application will be judged on its own merits.

Undergraduate Study

The International Foundation Courses and English Language Studies Centre (IFCELS) at SOAS offers a preparatory year for international students seeking entry to undergraduate degrees at British universities. Applicants offering either ‘A’ levels or the IB Diploma will also be considered. Further information can be found on the undergraduate admissions pages.

Graduate Study

Applicants with an upper second class (or equivalent) bachelor’s degree from a good university will be considered for entry to a SOAS master’s degree.
Research applicants would normally be expected to have completed a Masters qualification from a good university.
In addition you should check the individual programme of study for any specific academic requirements; please refer to the postgraduate prospects or postgraduate admissions pages.

English Language Proficiency

Applicants whose first language is not English will normally have to provide evidence of their English language proficiency. Please check the English language requirements page for detailed information. SOAS does offer English summer courses (‘pre-sessionals’) for those who do not meet the exact entry requirements so that students have the opportunity to improve their language skills before beginning academic study.

Foundation Courses

Those applicants who do not meet the above entry requirements or would like to improve their English language before studying for a degree, could consider applying for one of the foundation degrees offered at the SOAS IFCELS centre. Students can improve their English while studying academic courses in an area of their choice, including Development Studies, International Business, Media and Communication and International Politics.

In-Country Representatives

HRD Global Education Link
No. 157, 1st Floor
Bangunan Fakhriah
Jalan Kumbang Pasang
Bandar Seri Begawan BS8411
Brunei Darussalam
Tel: +67 3223 2811
Email: hrds_4@brunet.bn
Website: HRD Global Education Link


SOAS offers a number of scholarships and bursaries and there are other external scholarships.
The prestigious Alphawood Scholarship is available to students resident in Brunei. Eligible courses of study include programmes within the Department of History of Art and Archaeology and MA South East Asian Studies and MA Asian Pacific Studies where the major course relates to Southeast Asian art.


The SOAS Careers Service is part of the The Careers Group, University of London, which is the biggest careers service in the country. The Careers Service provides a range of services including a careers information library, career counselling services and various events throughout the year, to help with career choice, job hunting, applications and interviews.


SOAS has alumni all over the world, if you would like to contact an alum to ask any questions then please visit the SOAS alumni website.

Useful Links

  • The British Council is the British Government's international organization for educational and cultural relations. Their website is designed for those seeking information and advice on education and contemporary arts in the UK.
  • Education UK is produced by the British Council to help international students interested in a UK course or qualification.
  • UKCISA - The UK Council for International Students Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying overseas, including visas and working while studying.
  • The UK Border Agency also has up to date information on immigration and visa requirements.
  • UCAS - The Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the body through which all applications for undergraduate study must be made.
  • The British High Commission in Brunei may also be able to help you with information about travelling to the UK.