Statement of Service
SOAS Careers Service
Welcome to SOAS Careers Service - one of The Careers Group, University of London's network of locally provided college careers services. We are the dedicated point of contact for career management needs of all SOAS clients as defined below.
To view the complete Statement of Service for The Careers Group, our parent body, please visit their website.
Who can use the SOAS Careers Service?
You can use the SOAS Careers Service if you are:
- a current full-time student at SOAS
- a part-time student of SOAS following a college-accredited degree or post-graduate programme of study lasting at least one academic year
- a graduate of SOAS who is a current member of GradClub
- staff members are seen at the discretion of the Head of Service
What we offer you
- Employability talks, workshops and courses and coaching sessions, delivered by employers and careers consultants. Visit our events page for details.
- One-to-one short quick queries and longer careers discussions with professional careers consultant who will help you to develop your own strategies for dealing with your situation.
- One-to-one CV checking with our CV consultant.
- Practice interviews. If you have been invited to a real interview, a Practice Interview with an adviser will allow you to experience a real interview situation, get feedback on your performance and tips on how to improve.
- Aptitude tests and personality questionnaires.
- Take and Alum for Coffee scheme.
- Access to college careers fairs and and those organised by The Careers Group.
- Access to a range of, predominantly online, vacancy services.
- An information room containing labour market and occupational information, information on job-seeking skills, and post-graduate study and specialist professional training, in a mix of digital and paper formats.
- Internet access for careers usage. For example online employer information and Careers Tagged, The Careers Group’s online resources finder.
- Sign posting to other specialist agencies within or outside the college.
About our team
Our team consists of the Head of Careers, Careers Consultants, Information Officer, Employer Liaison Officer, and Internships Coordinator.
We are here to help and advise you on how to use the service and information resources as well as providing a programme of workshops, fairs, employer and alumni events. In addition we co-ordinate local vacancies for JobOnline. The careers consultants will advise you on a one to one basis and help you develop your skills whatever stage you’re at in planning your future.
How to provide us with feedback
Client feedback, both positive and negative, underpins continuous, quality improvement of our service and is vital to us. To give us feedback, either visit us in person or visit our feedback page.
Complaints will be dealt with in accordance with The Careers Group Complaints Procedure a copy of which is displayed prominently in the Careers Service - in the first instance any complaint should be made to an appropriate member of staff. If you are unwilling or feel unable to approach a member of staff, you should raise the matter with the Head of the College Careers Service. Please contact a member of staff if you would like clarification or a copy of the procedure.
Diversity and accessibility
SOAS Careers Service subscribes to The Careers Group standard of service for the provision of services for users with disabilities. Please ask our staff if you need assistance to enable you to use our facilities and services more effectively.
Contact Information & Opening Times
For details on how to contact us and our opening times, please visit our contact us page.
How to book an appointment
If you would like to book a Quick Query, CV Check, Practice Interview or Careers Discussion, please visit our careers advice page for full details.