SOAS’s student population includes international students from more than 140 countries and our careers resources are just as diverse as our student body. Take a look here at some great resources!
Internal SOAS pages
- Work Permits (UK) - An informative site with information on working in the UK.
- International Futures - This site by The Careers Group is a community where you can share information and experiences, ask questions and get advice. Non-EU students can find out about career opportunities in the UK, as well as understanding the graduate recruitment process.
- UKCISA (The Council for International Education) - Invaluable and extremely useful site offering a wealth of information and clarification on UK employment and immigration law, as well as advice on postgraduate study.
- Prospects- Masses of useful material for international students.
- British Council (UK Scholarships) - database of scholarship options for international students, searchable by level of study, institution, subject and country of origin.
Explaining International Qualifications to Employers
Not all employers will understand how your qualifications compare to UK ones. There is no official list of how UK grades or tariff points compare with other countries' qualifications so it is not possible to convert your grades into UCAS points. However, you can get a general comparison of your qualification with UK qualifications from the National Academic Recognition Information Centre for the UK (NARIC). Please note that there is a charge if you require a written assessment of your international qualifications and NARIC cannot convert your scores for overseas qualifications into UCAS points.
If an employer asks for UCAS points, list your actual qualifications and grades (explaining your grade in context, e.g. 1, top grade on scale 1-5 or by giving a % score too). If completing an online application form either telephone the company to ask what they want you to do or use the 'note' or 'additional information' section to explain. Alternatively see the UCAS website’s section on international qualifications, call the qualifications hotline +44 (0)871 468 0468 or email them directly on firstname.lastname@example.org. NARIC also have an advice line for simple queries from students. Please call +44 (0)871 330 7033 for any assistance.
Additional resources in our Information Room
- An information sheet created by The Careers Group entitled 'International Students: How the careers service can help you'
- An information sheet on finding employment entitled 'Quick Links: Finding Part-Time Jobs for International Students' which is also available on the Moodle.
- A great selection of events catered to International students.