How can the careers service help me?
Our aim is to help students with all aspects of their search for employment, from those who have no ideas about what to do next through making applications, attending interviews and negotiating the job offer. There are a number of ways in which we do this:
- One-to-One Quick Query Sessions: 15 minute sessions with an adviser to discuss any career-related issues
- Career Discussions: longer sessions to discuss career planning
- Practice Interviews: how to respond to questions, how best to present yourself and other interview-related concerns
- CV Checks: review of your CV or application form
- Information: a library of careers information aimed at SOAS students
For further details about our service and daily updates, please visit us on Facebook!
How do I book a general quick query appointment?
Call us on 020 7898 4115 or come into R101 on the day, anytime after we open, to sign up for a quick query appointment. They are held Monday to Friday. Each session lasts 15 minutes.
Can I pre-book a general quick query appointment?
No. Students are not able to pre-book quick query appointments. All appointments must be booked the morning of the day you wish to be seen. Appointments are available Monday to Friday.
How do I book a careers discussion?
In order to be recommended for a careers discussion, you must first meet with an adviser for a quick query session.
If an adviser thinks that you would benefit from a longer discussion, you will be sent or given a ‘careers discussion form’. You will then be asked to complete the form and return it to us. Forms must be received 48 hours prior to the appointment. A confirmation email with appointment details will be sent to you beforehand.
How do I book a practice interview?
You must first have an actual interview arranged in order to be seen by an adviser. You also need to complete the ‘practice interview form’ and send us all relevant documentation relating to the job, ie: your CV/covering letter or completed application form, job description, person specification and if possible the url for the job posting.
Once we receive all of the documentation, we will then send a confirmation email to you with your appointment details.
Does the Careers Service offer e-advice?
If you are unable to visit us in person due to work commitments or if you are living outside of London, we are able to offer e-advice to students.
For further details, please ring us on 020 7898 4115 or email us on email@example.com
Can you help me with my CV?
We offer CV checks during Quick Query appointments held 2.30-4.30pm from Monday to Thursday, and 2-4pm Friday. Each session lasts 15 minutes. CV checks must be arranged on the day by phone or in person. We do not pre-book CV checks.
Please ensure that you have a printed copy of your CV before coming in for your appointment and that you have a specific job that you are applying for.
Where can I find vacancies?
I am an international student – how do I find part-time work?
We have created an information sheet entitled ‘Finding Part-Time Work for International students’ which can be accessed either on our Moodle page or in hard copy in our Information Room.
Please ask at reception if you would like a copy.
How do I find careers resources on the Moodle?
Go to ble.soas.ac.uk and log-in using your student ID and password.
Once logged in, type in 'careers service' in the search tab and you should find the Careers Service listed there.
Once you've clicked on our Moodle page, you will find the following careers-related information:
- event listings
- careers advice, which includes information sheets and a list of the services we offer
- careers resources, which includes our online library and other resources available
- useful websites, such as Prospects and JobOnline
- jobs of the week, listed by faculty
- volunteering and internship information
- a discussion board
- presentations of previous events you may have missed
The Moodle is an excellent resource for SOAS students so please take the time to check it out!
I want to work at SOAS on campus – how do I find job vacancies?
There are a few ways in which you can work at SOAS:
- SOAS Human Resources Department advertises vacancies, including library work.
- SOAS Student Union advertises vacancies in their shops and in the bar on their website.
- SOAS Academic Development Directorate employs Student Ambassadors mainly to work at
Open Days to help with registration, run Campus and Accommodation Tours, and just generally be around to answer any questions prospective students might have.
- University of London Temp Agency places students in both temporary and permanent positions working with The University of London, its associated Colleges and institutes as well as with external businesses.
How do I find volunteering opportunities?
Where can I find information on funding further study?
How do I book myself on events?
We offer various events to students, from careers workshops, ‘Insight’ series events and employer presentations and much more.
For some events, students must register beforehand; for others, there is no sign up required.
Please have a look at our events page for further details.
What is the process involved if I would like to ‘Take an Alum for Coffee’?
You must first complete the ‘Take an Alum for Coffee’ registration form available online.
Once we receive your completed form, one of our consultants will be in touch via email within 10 working days.
Your consultant will recommend up to three alumni who matches with your requirements and it is then up to you to contact the alum and arrange a meeting.
Can I still use your services after I graduate?
Yes, you can. SOAS Alumni can now use the Careers Service free of charge. In order to join free of charge, please email firstname.lastname@example.org your name, your Alumni ID number, course and faculty details, year of graduation, and phone number.
If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com or phone 020 7898 4115.