Professor Tony Allan
- Land resource evaluation; applied geography with reference to agricultural development in semi-arid areas; remote sensing and Geographical Information Systems; hydrology and water resources management.
- Middle East, North Africa, Libya, Egypt, Sudan.
Dr Kathy Baker
Senior Lecturer in Geography, King's College, email@example.com
Agricultural development, particularly in the semi-arid regions; smallholder farming systems; environmental issues; environmental management and agro-ecology; soil science, drought.
- West Africa, Senegal, Gambia, Mali.
Dr Tanya Bowyer-Bower
- Environmental impact assessment and management; land degradation and desertification; land use impact; urban agriculture; environmental policy.
- Southern Africa, Swaziland, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Nigeria
Dr Khalid Koser
- Main research interests are international migration and development, forced migration and refugee repatriation, transnational communities and post-conflict resolution, with particular reference to Mozambique and Eritrea.
- Recent publications include:
- The New Migration in Europe: Social Constructions and Social Realities, ed. with H Lutz, 1998, (Macmillan)
- The End of the Refugee Cycle? Refugee Repatriation and Reconstruction, ed. with R. Black, 1998 (Berghahn)
Dr JoAnn McGregor
- Politics and history of Africa, particularly in conflict, migration and refugees, environment and development.
Dr Claire Mercer
Lecturer in Human Geography, Department of Geography and Environment, LSE
- Civil society, migration and development
- intersections between postcolonialism, human geography and development
- Tanzania; African Diaspora in the UK
Dr Anthony O'Connor
Reader in Geography, UCL
- Contemporary economic, social and political issues in tropical Africa, with special reference to East Africa, and to migration and urbanisation; HIV/AIDS in Africa; 'brain-drain' from Africa to Europe.
- East Africa, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Nigeria, Sierra Leone
Dr Ben Page
- Histories of urban water supply in West Africa, sources of capital, sources of labour and uneven development. Histories of community development. The efforts of water managers to charge people for piped water and the efforts of water users to resist paying for water. The politics and progress of water privatisations. The reciprocal relationship between ecological change and social change in cities.
- Cameroon, Nigeria
Dr Deborah Potts
- Human geography; urbanisation, rural-urban migration, low-income housing, land reform.
- Southern Africa, Zimbabwe, Malawi, South Africa.
Professor David Simon
- Land and development issues; urbanisation/urban development; transport; political geography; regional development; development theory and policy; environment and sustainability.
- Namibia, South Africa, Kenya
Dr Julian Thompson
- Hydrological monitoring and modelling of wetlands; sustainable water resources and wetland management.