Scholarships for studentsUnfortunately we do not currently offer any scholarships or financial aid for students on our programmes, and opportunities for funding from third party sources tend to be limited for distance learning students. However we are always searching for new sources of funding, and if any do become available, these will be posted on our website. Many CeDEP students are sponsored by their employers. This can entail full or partial coverage of course costs or, in some instances, allowances for study leave. Other students have gained support from their governments or external aid agencies, but most frequently students use their own private resources.
Dependent on nationality, employment circumstances and other factors, funding and sponsorship sources can include:
- United Nations (UNESCO, FAO, UNDP, UNEP etc)
- Bilateral Aid Agencies (SIDA, GTZ, etc)
- European Union
- British Council
- UK Department for International Development / Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- Educational and other charitable trusts
Prospective students are advised to approach their local British Council, British High Commission or British Embassy, for information on local funding.
There are only a small number of funding sources relative to the number of students looking for help. The level of competition for sponsorship and educational awards is generally extremely high, and students are encouraged to investigate funding possibilities early on. CeDEP suggests, however, that students do not delay in applying to CeDEP - in some instances a firm offer of a place can in fact be advantageous in a funding application.
Other possible sources of funding which you may be interested in exploring include:
- The Aga Khan Foundation which "provides a limited number of scholarships each year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from developing countries who have no other means of financing their studies". (www.akdn.org)
- Canon Collins Educational Trust for Southern Africa for which candidates from Southern Africa may be eligible to apply (www.canoncollins.org.uk).
Please note: CeDEP is unable to provide an exhaustive list of all available funding, nor can it assist prospective students in finding funding sources. We encourage prospective students to investigate for themselves.