- Andrew Dorward
Ongoing research emerging from long term interests in livelihood dynamics, no current or recent direct funding
Associated CeDEP research
Objectives and scope
This work addresses at a conceptual level
- the multiple environmental challenges that human activity poses for ecosystems that have intrinsic value and also support that activity, and
- constraints on human ability to address these challenges from, inter alia, weaknesses in cross disciplinary understandings of interactive processes of change in socio-ecological systems.
Building on past work conceptualising dynamic livelihood strategies in terms of ‘hanging in, stepping up and stepping out, it draws on complementary insights from social and biological sciences to propose an interdisciplinary ‘livelisystems’ framework of multi-scale, dynamic change across social and biological systems.
- Dorward, A. R. 2012. Livelisystems: conceptualising social, biological and ecosystem change and ‘development’. Working paper, Centre for Development, Environment and Policy. London: School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.
- Dorward, A. R. 2009. Integrating contested aspirations, processes and policy: development as hanging in, stepping up and stepping out. Development Policy Review, 27, 131-146.
- Dorward, A. R., Anderson, S., Nava, Y., Pattison, J., Paz, R., Rushton, J. & Sanchez Vera, E. 2009. Hanging In, Stepping up and Stepping Out : Livelihood Aspirations and Strategies of the Poor. Development in Practice, 19, 240-247.
- Dorward, A. R., Anderson, S., Nava, Y., Pattison, J., Paz, R., Rushton, J. & Sanchez Vera, E. 2005. A guide to indicators & methods for assessing the contribution of livestock keeping to livelihoods of the poor. London: Department of Agricultural Sciences, Imperial College London.
- Dorward, A. R., Poole, N. D., Morrison, J. A., Kydd, J. G. & Urey, I. 2003. Markets, institutions and technology: missing links In livelihoods analysis. Development Policy Review, 21, 319-332.
Andrew Dorward: firstname.lastname@example.org