Individual Professional Awards
Start of programme: November / January / March / June / July
Mode of Attendance: Distance Learning
The Individual Professional Awards programme offers people in the financial and management sector a very effective form of flexible professional education. Our modules are designed to each rigorously explore themes in depth. The modules have all been designed and constructed by professionals whose own research is at the forefront of current thinking.
An IPA can be a very useful way of testing whether Distance Learning is the method for you if you have any doubt about making the commitment involved in a full programme. When you have completed an IPA successfully, you will be awarded a University of London certificate. If the IPA is related to a module on the MSc or Postgraduate Diploma that you want to enrol for and you have achived a pass mark of 50% or more, then you can be awarded credit towards that programme.
Students are individually assigned an academic tutor for the duration of the module, with whom you can discuss academic queries at regular intervals during the study session.
You are required to complete two Assignments for this module, which will be marked by your tutor. Assignments are each worth 15% of your total mark. You will be expected to submit your first assignment by the Tuesday of Week 5, and the second assignment at the end of the module, on the Tuesday after Week 8. Assignments are submitted and feedback given online. In addition, queries and problems can be answered through the Virtual Learning Environment.
You will also sit a three-hour examination on a specified date in October, worth 70% of your total mark. An up-to-date timetable of examinations is published on the website in April each year.
- Advanced Topics in Valuation
- Bank Financial Management
- Bank Regulation and Resolution of Banking Crises
- Banking & Capital Markets
- Banking Strategy
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Decentralisation & Local Governance
- Econometric Analysis & Applications
- Econometric Principles & Data Analysis
- The Economy of China
- The Economy of Sub-Saharan Africa
- Environmental & Social Impact Assessment
- Finance in the Global Market
- Financial Econometrics
- Financial Law
- Financial Reporting (International Financial Reporting Standards – IFRS)
- Financial Reporting (International Public Sector Accounting Standards – IPSAS)
- Human Resources Management & Development
- International Business Strategy
- International Finance
- The International Monetary Fund & Economic Policy
- Introduction to Law & to Finance
- Introduction to Valuation
- Law & Regulation of Electronic Finance & Internet Banking
- Legal Aspects of Corporate Finance
- Legal Aspects of International Finance
- Macroeconomic Policy & Financial Markets
- Management Accounting
- Management in China
- Management in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Management Information in Business
- Managing Organisational Change
- Managing the Transnational Corporation
- Microeconomic Principles & Policy
- Modelling Firms & Markets
- Privatisation & Public-Private Partnerships
- Project Appraisal
- Project, Programme and Policy Evaluation
- Public Financial Management: Audit & Compliance
- Public Financial Management: Planning & Performance
- Public Financial Management: Revenue
- Public Policy & Management: Development Assistance
- Public Policy & Management: Perspectives & Issues
- Public Policy & Strategy
- Regulation of Infrastructure & Utilities
- Regulation of International Capital Markets
- Research Methods
- Risk Management: Principles & Applications
You can choose a module from any of the Distance Learning programmes available. You may take up to three modules in total.
Taking an Individual Professional Course will provide you with valuable training and help you advance in your career in fund management institutions, banks, governments, public services, international organisations and NGOs.
A Student's Perspective
I would recommend the programme to anyone looking to gain an advanced understanding of financial theory from a first class academic staff at arguably one of the best universities in the world.