Welcome to the SOAS China Institute
The Institute showcases the strength of Chinese Studies at SOAS in the humanities and the social sciences, from ancient times to the present. The Institute’s new, Masters-level teaching programmes provides students with a balanced and rounded set of highly competitive skills that are in high demand for a broad range of careers. These skills include disciplinary rigour, language proficiency, and wider knowledge of Chinese society, history, economics and culture.
The SOAS China Institute aims to be one of the world-leading centres for China expertise and pre-eminent in London. The SCI channels the unrivalled breadth and depth of SOAS understanding of China to the wider worlds of government, business, media, education, the arts, NGOs and beyond.
Taking full advantage of the wide range of regional expertise at SOAS, the SOAS China Institute initiates world-leading research on the political, economical, social, and cultural connections between China and other parts of Asia, as well as Africa and the Middle East.
Working with SOAS alumni and excellent partners in China and the surrounding region, the Institute is engaging actively in raising the SOAS profile in East Asia and fostering international collaboration. The Institute is also securing strategic philanthropic funding from a range of partners to expand the Institute’s reach and the impact of Chinese Studies at SOAS.
The Institute delivers interdisciplinary research seminars and workshops; organises high profile lecture events; facilitates roundtable meetings on current affairs; and provides specialist briefings, short courses and bespoke training opportunities.
The Institute is working closely with exceptional regional academic and business partners to build a truly world-leading, interdisciplinary research programme across the social sciences and humanities within eight China-focused themes. Learn more...
- The SOAS China Institute represents the largest community of China scholars under one roof in the whole of Europe
- The MA Advanced Chinese Studies provides high-level bilingual training in Chinese Studies across more than ten different disciplines in the social sciences and humanities
- SOAS China scholars offer unrivalled expertise on China, from its earliest history to the present day
Bespoke training programmes related to China are specifically designed for particular clients according to their requirements or bid specifications.
The China Quarterly
The China Quarterly is the leading source for serious scholarship on contemporary China and Taiwan. Rigorously peer-reviewed and edited to the highest standards, the journal publishes timely, in-depth, accurate and comprehensive research.
The SOAS China Institute (SCI) represents the largest community of China scholars working together under one roof in Europe. With more than 50 affiliated academics working across the various SOAS departments, the Institute promotes interdisciplinary, critically informed research and teaching on China.
- 02 Mar Public Attitudes and Health in China
- 12 Mar Postgraduate Open Evening
- 16 Mar Cultural Heritage and Spatial Governance in Confucian Perspectives
SOAS Academic Summer School offers three and five-week courses taught by SOAS' world-renowned academics. Courses related to China include:
- Transformations in Today’s China
- Opium and Empire: Chinese History in London and the UK
- Management in China: Domestic and International Perspectives