The China Institute coordinates activities at SOAS, University of London that relate to the study of China. The events bring together academic staff and students with diverse interests and backgrounds.
Events are free and open to the public unless otherwise stated. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For further information contact Li-Sa Whittington at the Institute on firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained on the website is as accurate as possible. We cannot guarantee, however, that subsequent changes have not been made.
- The Drum or Bell of Justice and Remonstrance. The transcultural adaptation of a political installation across Eurasia
Professor Rudolf Wagner (University of Heidelberg)
- One-Child: The story of China’s most radical experiment
Mei Fong (Author and Journalist)
- Travels with Lao She: from Beijing to Britain, Manhattan to Mars
Professor Jeff Wasserstrom (University of California at Irvine), Professor Robert Bickers (University of Bristol)
A double presentation by Robert Bickers (University of Bristol), who will speak on "China & Britain during Lao She's London Years", and Jeffrey Wasserstrom (University of California, Irvine), who will speak on "Fantasy in Lao She's Life & Fiction.
- Materialising Manchus
Fresco Sam-Sin (Leiden University)
- Being Chinese
Ms Jeanne-Marie Gescher
- International Premiere of PAPA RAINBOW directed by Fan Popo - Chinese Documentary (with English subtitles)
Post-screening Q&A and dialogue hosted by Dr Luke Robinson
As part of The Queer Asia Conference 2016: Diversity, Contestations and Developments
Prof Luo Zhengfu (Guizhou University)
- Joint East Asian Studies Conference (JEAS) 2016
This conference provides a major venue for the dissemination of research on East Asian Studies in various disciplines for academics from both the UK and abroad.