The China Institute coordinates activities at SOAS, University of London that relate to the study of China. The events bring together academic staff and students with diverse interests and backgrounds.
Events are free and open to the public unless otherwise stated. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For further information contact Li-Sa Whittington at the Institute on firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained on the website is as accurate as possible. We cannot guarantee, however, that subsequent changes have not been made.
- 2016 Chinese Art Film Festival London Showcase
Introduced by Dr Rossella Ferrari (SOAS), Dr Xiaoning Lu (SOAS) & Dr How Wee Ng (SOAS)
- Tang Xianzu and Shakespeare in the Chinese Cultural Context
Professor Pei-kai Cheng (President, China Institute, City University of Hong Kong; Chairman, Hong Kong SAR Intangible Cultural Heritage Advisory Committee)
The 400th Anniversary for Tang Xianzu (1550-1616) and Shakespeare (1564-1616) raises intriguing questions among Chinese literary scholars.
- Grandparents and Grandchildren in Rural China
Professor Merril D Silverstein (Syracuse University)
- Educating the Chinese Individual: Political Ambitions and Processes of Individualization
Professor Mette Halskov Hansen (University of Oslo)
- China’s Economy: Powerhouse, Menace or the Next Japan?
Mr. Arthur R. Kroeber (China Economic Quarterly)
Professor Yang Yuda (Institute of Historical Geography, Fudan University)
- Party Spirit: Producing Communist Belief in Contemporary China
Professor Frank Pieke (Leiden University)
- The Impossible Law: Sharia in China
Prof. Matthew Erie (University of Oxford)