- Course Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 3 of 3 or Year 4 of 4
- Taught in:
- Term 1
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
At the end of this course students should be able to:
- Understand the role of financial choices in corporate strategy;
- Understand the principles underlying financial decision making in firms;
- Evaluate the principles in the light of evidence on firms’ financial strategies and decisions;
- Apply principles to financial strategy in actual case studies;
- Compare firms’ financial strategies across countries and historic periods;
- Critically discuss the problems and limitations of financial strategy techniques.
Method of assessmentThis course is assessed by 30% written coursework and 70% by one two hour examination
- Brealey R and Myers S., Principles of Corporate Finance, 10th edition, McGraw Hill, 2011.
- Hillier, D, M Grinblatt, and S Titman, Financial markets and corporate strategy (European Edition), 2nd edition, Mc Graw Hill, 2011.
- Koller T, M Goedhart, and D Wessels, Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies (University Edition), 5th edition, Wiley, 2010.