Economic development of modern China
- Course Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 3
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Describe China's development policies from 1949 to the present day in the context of its political history.
- Analyse the principal features of China's economic system.
- Evaluate the nature and sources of China's economic growth at both a macro and sectoral level.
Method of assessmentAssessment weighting: Exam 80% / Coursework 20%. Resubmission of coursework regulations do not apply to this course.
- Chris Bramall (2009). Chinese Economic Development, London, Routledge.
- Barry Naughton (2008), The Chinese Economy, Cambridge MA, MIT Press.
- Dic Lo (1997), Market and Institutional Regulation in Chinese Industrialization, 1978-94, London and New York, Macmillan and St. Martin’s).
- Loren Brandt and Tom Rawski (eds). (2008). China's Great Economic Transformation, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.