[skip to content]

Department of the History of Art and Archaeology

Introduction to the Art and Archaeology of South and Southeast Asia

Course Code:
154900156
Unit value:
0.5
Year of study:
Year 1
Taught in:
Term 1

Objectives and learning outcomes of the course

  • To become familiar with a range of sculpture, paintings, architecture, archaeological assemblages and landscapes from South and Southeast Asia as well as Central Asia and Tibet using appropriate terminology.
  • To be introduced to different approaches and historiographies to appreciate works of art and archaeology from South and Southeast Asia, Central Asia and Tibet, focussing on the religious aspects of material culture

Workload

Lectures - 2 hours a week. Seminar/Tutorials - 1 hour per week.

Scope and syllabus

This half-unit course presents key aspects of the arts of South and Southeast Asia as well as Central Asia and Tibet over a wide historical span, from c.5th century BCE to the present day. The lectures focus on varied topics within the field. Although each topic is of great importance in itself, they are a selective survey, and the geographical and chronological scope may vary from year to year with different case studies to explore broader thematic issues.

Method of assessment

The two hour written exam will count for 70% and two pieces of coursework of 2000 words each comprise the remaining 30% (15% each) portion of the final mark

Suggested reading

  • Dehejia, Vidya. Indian Art. London: Phaidon, 1997
  • Heller, Amy 1999. Tibetan art. Woodbridge: Antique Collectors’ Club.
  • Kerlogue, Fiona. Arts of Southeast Asia. London; New York: Thames & Hudson.
  • Klimburg-Salter, D. The Silk Route and the Diamond Path.  Los Angeles: UCLA Art Council 1982.
  • Mitter, Partha. Indian Art. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001
  • Rawson, P. 1963. The art of Southeast Asia: Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Burma, Java, Bali. London: Thames & Hudson