Hausa 3(a) advanced
- Course Code:
- Course Not Running 2014/2015
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 3 of 3 or Year 4 of 4
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Building upon the Hausa II(A) syllabus this course further develops language competence (in its social context) with work in translation and composition. Texts used include: An Advanced Hausa Reader (Jaggar) and Hausar Baka (Randell et al.) and Hausa Newspaper Reader (Jaggar).
Advanced conversation classes and multimedia computer-assisted language learning classes are provided to further improve oral proficiency and comprehension. The aim is to develop a more extensive operational level of competence in the language, and students are expected to manipulate a larger body of more complex grammar and vocabulary appropriate to a wider range of everyday contexts.
- Hausa II(A) (155900324) or equivalent.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
At the end of the course, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of more advanced Hausa grammar and vocabulary (including idiomatic phrases)
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Hausa structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand and produce passages in written Hausa on both everyday and specialised topics.
- the ability to understand and produce spoken Hausa of advanced complexity.