Bengali Language 2
- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Bengali Language 2 builds on the skills acquired in Year 1 and its main focus is on active language skills like speaking, reading for understanding, and writing. A period for conversation in Bengali will be an essential ingredient of the course. Ideally oral communication will evolve during the course of the year from the simple re-telling of events to topical debates. In order to acquire confidence in the idiomatic use of Bengali, students will read essays, letters, biographical writing and then practise their own writing. This will be started early on in the year and gradually increase in complexity. Again, students will start with their own experiences and move on to expressing opinions.
By the end of the year students should have a thorough grounding in Bengali. They will be able to hold a conversation, write a competent (though not error-free) letter or argument. They will have gained some insight into cultural and social issues in West Bengal and Bangladesh. They will have a good general vocabulary and will be able to use a dictionary. They will have a reasonable understanding of Bengali sentence structure and will be able to read and understand simple texts. Bengali Language 2 should take students to a stage from which they can move on independently.
PrerequisitesBengali 1 or equivalent
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the course, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Bengali grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Bengali vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Bengali structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages in written Bengali of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to produce passages in written Bengali of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to understand spoken Bengali and to engage in spoken discourse of medium complexity on everyday and some specialised topics