Advanced Modern Turkish Language
- Course Code:
- Course Not Running 2014/2015
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
A course in speaking, essay-writing and translating into and from Turkish for students who have completed Intermediate Modern Turkish language (T2) or who have reached a similar standard of competence in the language.
Successful completion of Intermediate Modern Turkish language (T2) or the equivalent standard of Turkish is required.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
- communicate fluently and appropriately in Turkish;
- demonstrate a detailed knowledge and effective understanding of the structures, registers, etc of Turkish.
Also as a generic skills, the student should be able to:
- communicate information, ideas and arguments cogently and coherently both orally and in writing;
- gather, process and evaluate critically information from a variety of paper, audio-visual and electronic sources;
- be an effective and self-aware independent learner.
WorkloadThe course entails three hours of class work per week. Students are expected to complete regular assignments to improve skills in reading, writing, translation and conversation.
Scope and syllabus
Reading: Material written in a variety of styles is studied through reading selected texts. The development of the language is studied extensively through representative samples.
Writing: This skill is developed through writing essays on abstract and complex topics. Emphasis is placed on precise use of syntax and idiomatic expressions.
Oral-Aural: More advanced communicative and descriptive skills are developed. Students are expected to put forward persuasive and clear arguments in Turkish in class discussions.
Method of assessmentOne written paper (80% of the final mark), one oral examination (20%), both in May-June.
- Anday, M. C., 1975. Dilimiz ÃœstÃ¼ne KonusÃ§malar. Ankara: Türk Dil Kurumu.
- Aksoy, Ã–. A., 1982. Dil GercÃ§eÂ©i. Ankara: Türk Dil Kurumu.
- Dil Yazâˆ«larâˆ«, 1974. 2 vols. Ankara: TÃ¼rk Dili Kurumu.
- TimurtasÃ§, F. K., 1977. TÃ¼rkcÃ§emiz ve Uydurmacâˆ«lâˆ«k. Istanbul: BoÂ©azicÃ§i Yayâˆ«nlarâˆ«.