- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This course offers a one-year practical situation-based learning of the language; this is done by explanation and practice of the spoken language in class, 4 hours per week, expanding the students’ vocabulary and building a basic survival knowledge of the language. Every stage will involve spoken exercises first, and then written exercises. The grammar will be taught with reference to the situation. This course will be taught 2 evenings a week during term time and with an intensive week in the 3rd term before the exams.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the course, a student should be able to demonstrate…
1. knowledge and understanding of basic Yoruba grammar
2. knowledge and understanding of essential Yoruba vocabulary
3. knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Yoruba structures and expressions in a given context
4. the ability to understand short passages in written Yoruba on everyday topics
5. the ability to produce short passages in written Yoruba on everyday topics
6. the ability to understand spoken Yoruba and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination (60%), oral exam (30%) taken in May/June and coursework (10%).
The reading list for this course will be made available from the convenor at the beginning of the course.