Introduction to Mixed Script Korean
- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 3, Year 3 of 4 or Year 4 of 4
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Successful completion of Elementary & Intermediate Korean or one year LYA course (course convenor's approval required)
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
- knowledge and understanding of Chinese characters in common use
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Sino- Korean vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Korean grammar
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Korean structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages in written mixed Chinese characters and Korean on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to produce passages in written mixed Chinese characters and Korean on everyday and some specialised topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact plus 1 hour tutorial per week.
Scope and syllabus
Mixed Script Korean (Chinese characters) are learnt as they appear in the textbook. At the end of this course, students should have a basic working knowledge of reading Chinese characters used in Korean newspapers and academic materials. Students for certain degree combinations (e.g. Chinese & Korean, Japanese & Korean) can opt out of this unit, but it is obligatory for single-subject degrees and most of Korean-jointed degrees.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination (80%) taken in May/June and coursework (20%).
- Korean Reader for Chinese Characters. (Klear Textbooks Series) University of Hawaii Press.
Other materials will be distributed as handouts.