Akkadian Texts 1
- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 2
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This course covers a selection of fairly elementary Akkadian texts such as royal annals, building inscriptions and the easier literary texts, for example Ishtar's Descent into the Netherworld, the Poor Man of Nippur, and portions of the Epic of Gilgamesh. The course includes study of the texts' content, form and style.
The course is suited to the second year of the study of Akkadian. Introductory Akkadian is a prerequisite.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the course the student should have acquired competence in the reading of intermediate-level cuneiform texts in Akkadian; should have made progress in the reading, translation and interpretation of cuneiform texts in the genres studied; should have a better understanding of the written legacy of ancient Mesopotamia; and should have gained appropriate knowledge of the philological and methodological issues with which Assyriologists engage.
The course will normally entail two or three hours in the classroom each week. Preparation for classes will include the study of passages from the set texts for reading in class.
Scope and syllabus
The course comprises mainly the reading and discussion of a selection of set texts in cuneiform.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (70%); four (non-repeatable) pieces of coursework to be submitted on day 5, after reading week term 1 (5%); day 5, week 1, term 2 (10%); day 5 after reading week term 2 (5%); day 5, week 1, term 3 (10%).
- The Assyrian Dictionary of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago. 25 vols (A/1-2, B, D, E, G, H, I/J, K, L, M/1-2, N/1-2, P, Q, R, S, S., Sh/1-3, T, T., Z; U/W forthcoming). Chicago: Oriental Institute & Glückstadt: Augustin, 1956-
- Borger, R.: Babylonisch-assyrische Lesestücke. 2 vols. Analecta Orientalia, 54. Rome: Pontificium Institutum Biblicum, 1994 (reprint of 2nd edition)
- George, A. R.: The Babylonian Gilgamesh Epic: Introduction, Critical Edition and Cuneiform Texts. 2 vols. Oxford
- Gurney, O. R.: The Sultantepe Tablets, I. London: British Institute of Archaeology at Ankara, 1957
- Thompson, R. Campbell: The Prisms of Esarhaddon and Ashurbanipal. London: British Museum, 1931
- von Soden, W.: Akkadisches Handwörterbuch. 3 vols. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, 1965-81