Burmese Language and Texts
- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 3
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Prerequisites155900997: Burmese Language 2 or equivalent knowledge.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
The objectives of the course are to
- improve the student’s reading skills through reading a range of authentic texts
- overcome some of the problems that occur when moving from simplified to authentic texts in Burmese
- increase the student’s capacity to understand linguistic structures encountered in literary style Burmese
- widen the student’s knowledge of aspects of Burmese culture and society and current affairs from the readings chosen
At the end of a course, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- the ability to read, understand and extract information from authentic Burmese texts on a variety of topics
- the ability to translate authentic Burmese texts into English
WorkloadTotal of 22 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
Designed to develop language skills and at the same time enhance the student’s understanding of Burmese culture and values through the study of a range of contemporary texts and recorded audio material, which can often be selected to reflect students' particular interests. In addition students have regular practice in Burmese language conversation with a native speaker of Burmese.