Elementary Written Persian
- Course Code:
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
The emphasis in this course is on giving the students a reasonable grounding in the basics of Persian grammar and syntax and introduce them to a range of non-technical vocabulary by way of reading simple texts.
There are no entry qualifications for this course.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the courseAt the end of the course students should be able to read simple texts and a good understanding of the basic structures of Persian grammar.
WorkloadTeaching consists of twice-weekly language classes following elementary grammar books and specially produced handouts. One of the weekly lectures is given over to the formal teaching of grammar, followed by completing related exercises and reading and translating practice; however, the students will be using some oral Persian skills.
Scope and syllabus
As an elementary language "open option" this course is intended for those students who wish to learn the basics of the Persian grammar and acquire enough vocabulary to be able, with the aid of a dictionary, to read very basic modern texts and conduct basic natural everyday conversation. Emphasis is put on writing, reading and language skills.
Method of assessmentThe course is assessed by one three-hour written exam in May-June.
- Teach Yourself Modern Persian by Narguess Farzad.
- Reading material in the form of selections from modern fiction and current journalism is also provided.
Other useful titles:
- L. P. Elwell-Sutton, Colloquial Persian, Routledge & Kegan Paul 1976
- Leila Moshiri, Colloquial Persian (with cassette), Routledge 1988
- Wheeler M. Thackston, An Introduction to Persian, Iranbooks 1993
Dictionaries and Other Reference Books:
- The New Unabridged English-Persian Dictionary, 5 volumes
- A. Aryanpour-Kashani, Persian-English, English-Persian Dictionaries Haim, English-Persian, Persian-English Dictionaries
- Hooshang Amuzegar, A Dictionary of Common Persian and English Verbs (with Persian synonyms and examples), Payam Publishers 1988