Elementary Spoken Hokkien (Minnanyu, Taiwanese)
- Course Code:
- Course Not Running
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This course introduces spoken elementary Hokkien, also known as Minnanyu or Taiwanese.
At least one year of intensive Mandarin Chinese. The course is intended primarily for students with a good grasp of Mandarin grammar and pronunciation, and a reading ability of a minimum of 300 characters.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
At the end of the course, the student should be able to hold a simple conversation in Hokkien and function adequately in standard social situations requiring the use of Hokkien.
Total of 20 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week.
Method of assessment
One essay (2,500 words) 20% to be submitted on day 5, week 1, term 3; a mid-year oral (10 mins) held in week 2, term 2, 30%; a final oral (20 mins) held in week 3, term 3, 50%.
- Klöter, Henning: Written Taiwanese. Leiden: Universiteit Leiden, 2003.
- Li, Charles N., Sandra A. Thompson: Mandarin Chinese: A Functional Reference Grammar. Berkeley, Los Angeles, London: University of California Press, 1989.
- Lin, Shuang-fu: A Grammar of Disjunctive Questions in Taiwanese. Taipei: Student Book Co., 1975
- Ramsey, S. Robert: The Languages of China. Princeton: Princeton UP, 1987.
- Norman, Jerry: Chinese. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1988.
- Weingartner, Frederic F.: Tones in Taiwanese. Taipei: Ching Hua Press, 1970.