Nepali Language 3
- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Students must have completed Nepali 2 and the Nepali Year Abroad programme, or the equivalent achieved elsewhere.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of a course, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of advanced Nepali grammar
- knowledge and understanding of an extensive range of Nepali vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of an extensive range of Nepali structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages in written Nepali of medium to extended length on specialised topics
- the ability to produce passages in written Nepali of medium to extended length on specialised topics
- the ability to understand spoken Nepali and to engage in spoken discourse of medium to high complexity.
A total of 22 weeks teaching with 2 hours classroom contact per week.
Method of assessment
One two-hour written exam taken inMay/June (60%); one item of coursework as detailed below (25%); one listening and comprehension exam (15%) Coursework: EITHER: Write a biography of a Nepali writer, outlining their major literary achievements and main contributions to Nepali literature. The essay should be written in Nepali and run to 1500 words. Please dicsuss your choice of writer with us and we will help you to compile a reading list. OR: Produce a Nepali translation of an English newspaper article on contemporary political developments in Nepal. This will run to approximately 1500 words. The text to be translated will be supplied by us.