Advanced Practical Japanese
- Course Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 4
- Taught in:
- Full Year
PrerequisitesIntermediate Japanese language skills.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
- communicate fluently and appropriately in Japanese;
- demonstrate a detailed knowledge and effective understanding of the structures, registers, etc of Japanese;
- demonstrate a broad knowledge and, using appropriate methodologies, a critical understanding of the cultures and societies of Japan.
Also as a generic skills, the student should be able to:
- communicate information, ideas and arguments cogently and coherently both orally and in writing;
- gather, process and evaluate critically information from a variety of paper, audio-visual and electronic sources;
- be an effective and self-aware independent learner.
WorkloadA total of 22 weeks teaching with three hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
This course further develops and consolidates the listening, speaking and writing skills which were enhanced during the year abroad in Japan. It focuses on current affairs such as environmental issues, and globalization. It aims to prepare the student to use the language actively in the society. Such exercises as note-taking, summarising, and public speaking will be conducted to develop the language skills. Students will write an essay in Japanese of 5,000 characters and present it to the class.