Thai Cultural Texts
- Course Code:
- Course Not Running 2015/2016
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 2
- Taught in:
- Full Year
PrerequisitesThai language 1
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
The objectives of the course are to
- improve the student’s reading skills through reading a wide range of authentic texts
- examine some of the major language problems that occur when moving from simplified to authentic texts
- increase the student’s awareness of common features of authentic written Thai, such as ‘elaborate expressions’, topicalization, pronoun deletion, serial verb constructions, levels of vocabulary (including royal vocabulary)
- increase the student’s knowledge of aspects of Thai culture and society through reading passages expressing Thai perspectives
At the end of a course, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- the ability to read, understand and extract information from authentic Thai texts on a variety of topics
- the ability to translate authentic Thai texts accurately into English
This course is core for students of BA Thai and BA Thai and . . . . .
This course will be taught over 22 weeks with 3 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
The syllabus consists of carefully selected and graded reading materials on a wide variety of topics of social and cultural interest written in diverse styles.
Method of assessment
One three hour written examination taken in May/June (70%); regular written assignments (30%).
Readings drawn from a wide variety of sources (e.g. newspapers, magazines, textbooks, advertisements, short stories etc.) and written in a variety of styles, are provided by the teacher.