Modern and Contemporary Arts in Africa
- Course Code:
- Course Not Running 2015/2016
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
- At the end of the course, a student should be able to demonstrate
- To develop an understanding of the methods, practice and key issues in art history and visual culture in relation to photography and contemporary arts.
- To be able to assess critically the materials and themes explored in the course and evaluate different approaches by art historians and visual theorists.
- To develop/consolidate a range of skills relevant to an understanding of photography and the contemporary arts of Africa; and to general research and study skills through participation in the course.
- To have an appreciation of the variety of cultural values and explore their implications for equality issues such as class, "race", gender, sexual orientation, age and disability as they pertain to the course and the issues raised.
2 Hours per week
Method of assessment
One assignment at 15% (1,000 word book review), One assignment at 65% (4,000 words)
Test - 20%