Intensive Elementary Tibetan (Postgraduate)
- Course Code:
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
At the end of a course, a student should be able to demonstrate. . .
- knowledge of the Tibetan script and Modern Standard Tibetan pronunciation
- good command of basic Tibetan grammatical patterns both modern and classical
- ability to have basic interactions in Modern Standard Tibetan (greetings, introductions, asking the way, etc.)
- ability to read basic Tibetan texts both modern and classical
- ability to use a Tibetan dictionary
This course will be taught over 22 weeks with 8 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
At the end of the course, the student should be able to read elementary modern and classical texts with guidance from the instructor and hold a simple conversation in Tibetan and function adequately in standard social situations requiring the use of Tibetan.
Method of assessment
Two three-hour written examination taken in May/June (50% [25% each]); one 15 minute oral examination (20%); a test at the end of term 1 (15%); a test at the end of term 2 (15%).