Dissertation in Research Methods for International Development
- Course Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Full Year
The students enrolled in this course will have completed core and option courses within the MSc International Development by the time they complete their dissertation. By conducting a project on a topic of their choice (approved by the convener and supervisor) and writing a dissertation on it, the students will demonstrate their knowledge and intellectual capacity that they have acquired in the programme. The dissertation will provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge of topics and themes in international development; critically appraise theoretical and empirical literature in this area; and to apply a variety of research methods appropriate for use in the analysis of international development issues.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
- Interdisciplinary understanding of the international development issue or theme chosen for dissertation research.
- Understanding of the appropriate research methods for the issue or theme chosen for dissertation research.
Intellectual (thinking) skills
- The ability to critically appraise development paradigms and development policy regarding the issue or theme chosen for dissertation research
- The ability to approach the international development issue or theme chosen for dissertation research from an interdisciplinary perspective.
Subject-based practical skills
- Ability to apply one or more research methods systematically to a chosen research issue or theme.
- Specialised knowledge of issue/theme specific research methods
- Ability to appraise and implement these issue/theme specific research methods
- Ability to evaluate and synthesise different theoretical and conceptual arguments
- Critical appraisal and critical thinking and writing skills
Learning will be largely autonomous and independent.
Method of assessment
100% coursework. Each student will be expected to submit one essay of no more than 13,000 words. Resubmission of coursework regulations apply.