Higher Advanced Japanese (Masters)
- Course Code:
- Course Not Running 2016/2017
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Higher intermediate level Japanese or equivalent level.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
- communicate fluently and appropriately in Japanese;
- demonstrate a detailed knowledge and effective understanding of the structures, registers, etc of Japanese;
- demonstrate a broad knowledge and, using appropriate methodologies, a critical understanding of the cultures and societies of Japan.
Also as a generic skills, the student should be able to:
- communicate information, ideas and arguments cogently and coherently both orally and in writing;
- gather, process and evaluate critically information from a variety of paper, audio-visual and electronic sources;
- be an effective and self-aware independent learner.
Combination of interactive classroom and tutorials to a total of three hours per week. In addition, there are some separate sessions for MA students only.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination including aural taken in May/June (60%); an oral presentation (term 2) of an essay in Japanese of 6,000 characters to be submitted on day 1, term 3 (20%); continuous assessment (20%).