Economic development of the Asia Pacific region 1
- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Term 1
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Clearly describe the major economies of the Asia Pacific region, demonstrating an understanding of the sources of growth in these countries.
- Analyse the debate over the sources of growth and the role of trade and investment in regional economic integration.
- Outline the processes of macroeconomic reform and stabilisation in the main economies of the region.
Method of assessmentAssessment weighting: Exam 70% / coursework 30% (1 essay). All coursework is resubmittable.
- R. Nelson and H. Pack “The Asian Miracle and Modern Growth Theory” Economic Journal. Vol 109 July 1999
- Jesus Felipe “ Total Factor Productivity Growth in East Asia: A Critical Survey”, Journal of Development Studies, Vol 35 (4), April 1999.
- Joseph Stiglitz and Shahid Yusuf (editors) Rethinking the East Asian Miracle, New York, Oxford University press, 2001.
- Chris Bramall, Chinese Economic Development, London, Routledge, 2009.
- Carl Mosk, Japanese Economic Development, London: Routledge, 2007.