Economic development of modern Taiwan
- Course Code:
- Course Not Running 2015/2016
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
This course (available to students taking the MA in Taiwan Studies, as well as students of other appropriate Area Studies programmes and selected MSc degrees) seeks to analyse economic growth and the associated processes of structural change that have taken place in Taiwan since 1949.
The core experience addressed in the course are the years between 1960s and 1980s – the period in which Taiwan’s economic transformation and modernisation was achieved. However, consideration is also given to the historical backcloth against which these changes took place. The final part of the course examines the economic problems that have arisen since Taiwan’s ‘drive to maturity’ down to the present day, and the challenges posed by evolving cross-Strait economic relations.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a clear understanding of the history of economic growth in Taiwan since 1949 while summarising the associated processes of structural change in the country
2. Analyse the economic transformation and modernisation of Taiwan between the 1960s and the 1980s from the perspective of its political history
3. Assess the economic problems that Taiwan has encountered since from ‘Drive to Maturity’ to the present day and its evolving relationship with Mainland China
- Edmonds, Richard Louis & Steven M. Goldstein (ed.) (2001), Taiwan in the Twentieth Century: A Retrospective View (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).
- Hsueh Li-min, Chen-kuo Hsu and Dwight H. Perkins (2001), Industrialisation and the State: The Changing Role of the Taiwan Government in the Economy, 1945-1998 (Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press).
- Copper, John F. (1999), Taiwan: Nation-State or Province (Boulder, Colorado), ch.5, “The economy”.
- Shambaugh, David (ed.) (1998) Contemporary Taiwan (Oxford: Oxford University Press).
- Ranis, Gustav (1992), Taiwan: From Developing to Mature Economy (Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press).
- Republic of China, Council for Economic Planning and Development (CEPB), Taiwan Statistical Data Book, (Taipei: CEPB), published annually.