Ethnomusicology in Practice
- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Provides an overview of the academic discipline of ethnomusicology. It considers major theoretical issues, utilising an extensive reading list to provide a broad coverage of published work.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
The exact content will vary slightly from year to year, depending on the input from core lecturers and the requirements of students, but lectures always cover:
- the transcription and analysis of music; musical instruments and the human voice;
- musicians as agents of production; underlying concepts;
- fieldwork and the ethnography of musical performance;
- music in relation to history, anthropology, and linguistics;
- the history of ethnomusicology;
- music and gender;
- music and trance;
- “world music”.