Analysing World Music: Transcription & Analysis in Ethnomusicology
- Course Code:
- Course Not Running 2013/2014
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
Practical experience of ethnomusicological transcription and analysis and an introduction to their theoretical aspects.
Class meetings will be divided between discussion of these exercises and of selected items or themes in the prescribed literature.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
Techniques of transcription, including use of selected computer aids;
Issues discussed and skills acquired include:
- selected analytical techniques
- applicability of score-based analysis to orally transmitted repertoires and to performance (including improvisation);
- relative merits of aural/manual and computer-based approaches;
- the perspective of the performer or listener.
Workload1 hour per week
Method of assessment
Each student will complete several small exercises during term (formative assessment) before completing the assessed project during the Easter Vacation (summative assessment).